29

By Sunday we still didn't have a plan.

Tomorrow the Hales will come out of hiding. Theres only two packs left in the area and both are leaving at midnight. Meaning we have what? an hour tops till they're allowed to roam free. 

Anna was gripping her phone harshly. Aaron hasn't responded to her. And she's convinced herself he was only with her last Monday because her wolfing out on him during sex scared him. Which I don't think is true. He was still eager to suck her face off despite knowing. So, its a mystery and I'm angry he's put her under this extra stress.

The three of us sat in the silent room. Alec has so many documents in front of him. A copy of the peace treaty, the history of the feud and druid legends of the fall. None of which has helped him. The note pad in his hands has so many crossed out ideas that I can't even stare at him without feeling hopeless.

Anna sniffed. "I-I'll run away".

Alec shook his head, eyes still focused on a book. "You'll alert the others and you won't make it far without allies finding you".

I felt myself hug my knees. But its so still tempting. I huffed. "What if we talk to the Emissary?".

Alec frowned at me. "Oh yeah sure. Sorry to bother you, mystery person neither of us know. We broke the fued today. We showed a human teenage boy what we are. Oh and all three of us attempted to kill Peter Hale in no-mans-land. The land you gave us in penance for our peace. Unfortunatly, the claws didn't go deep enough so he's a witness."

I clicked my tongue at his pissed off tone. Then he shook his head at me. "Besides, like Tahlia hasn't already told him everything. At midnight I'll be suprised if the Emissay doesn't immediately call father".

Anna exhaled. "Then we cut the phone lines".

Alec snorted. "Yeah, cause thats not suspcious at all".

She hung her head. "I'll offer myself up. If I come willingly she might spare the two of you".

Alec shook his head. "We tried to kill her bother in mutual ground. That's just as bad as exposing our kind to a human, Anna. We're all in this together".

God I can't believe I'm saying this...

"Then we go. Together".

We all locked eyes as that stupid clock chimed twelve. And Alec snapped his book shut in rage. "We don't have a choice. We're out of time".

Anna swallowed. "Do we tell them?".

We both stared at Alec. Alec whose the future leader of the pack. Do we kill this alliance or keep it?.

Alec rubbed his forehead. "Lets...meet in mutal ground. On the boundary and if they attack us we fall pack. Confess everything and prepare for war".

I shuddered. Oh god.

Anna exhaled. "And if they don't attack us?".

Alec shrugged. "We convince her we still want the same thing".

I gulped. "And what's that?".

He smirked at me. "The one thing the Hales value. As we strive off violence, they strive off peace. We convince her we still want to keep that peace".

I don't like this plan.

I'm actually rather convinced its a suicide mission. Its what? twenty past midnight now. And they're out there. Or at least Derek is. I can smell him and we've only just crossed our territory.

I inhaled musk, berry an-

No. 

I gagged, at the time Anna whispered a silent "Death".

The area reeked of it. 

Alec frowned. "Stay together".

Yeah like I was thinking about walking anywhere solo after what we've done!. 

So we walked and I noted something. "T-the scent. It's not coming from their land. It's mutual land".

Alec paused and nodded. "Best not to look into it".

Anna shook her head. "I think we should. At the very least a dead body might stall everything".

I frowned. I don't want to see a dead body. Two years worth of therapy isn't something I want to repeat.

Alec weighed it up and he sighed before turning to Anna. "We don't even know if it's human. It could be a deer or something".

She shrugged. "We might have an extra half hour of life following the scent of death than the scent of them".

I knew that look of defeat on his face. "Fine. We assess the threat and then we man up and face them".

She smiled. "Great".

So that settled it. We followed the scent of death. And it was only once we were half way through our territory I knew where it was leading us. The distillery...

Once the building came into view I felt my head drop. 

A body. 

Human. A leg, was sticking out of the door of the tin like warehouse. The wind causing the door to harshly hit it repeatedly.

The shoe on the foot was a Nike runner. Mostly the type of shoe you'd find on someone from the basketball team.

I know I regonised the scent. Only I just couldn't place whose it belonged to. But I'd recognise that face anywhere. A face I feared, one that greeted me everday without fail. Brown hair, freckles and blue eyes. Only now pale cold skin, now dull brown hair and eyes almost white where they were once blue. I gulped as I stared into those forever empty and vacant eyes. I flinched at the sound of her scream, announcing who it was in a hysterical wail.

...Aaron.