Chapter 44

When we walked out of the school, I noticed that the screams had nearly stopped. There were a few vampires who were, still, enjoying their meal. A tall, dark figure was standing among them. Unmoved, above a dead body that was laying on the concrete floor. I took a step forward, trying to figure what was happening. But I stood still, when the man turned his head and looked at me from over his stiffened shoulder.

The moonlight was touching his glowing skin as he was glaring at me through droopy eyes. I slowly walked over him, prepared for a sudden attack, but that never came. He let me place a hand on his shoulder and squeeze it. My gaze travelled from his to the lifeless body in front of us. I wasn't going to feel sorry for him. He deserved what he had gotten. He shouldn't had done this to us. He could had had a better ending. Not that night. Certainly, not like that.

"It's over." I murmured. I was surprised I could still make out a word.

I noticed Dante shutting his glossy eyes and looking away from Max's body. "Not yet."

My mouth sat agape for a moment. I hesitated. I knew it wouldn't change a single thing, but I would be unfair to choose not to tell him. He should know.

"When I was in Max's car," I shrugged. "Just before to hypnotize me, he told me he loved you. He wanted you to know that. At least, that."

I heard Dante's teeth clenching and unclenching together. I heard his knuckles break as he squeezed his fists. I, even, wondered if it was possible for me to see the smoke that, I assumed, was coming out of his ears at that moment.

"Don't lie to me, Sofia." He gritted out.

My hand, automatically, left his green t-shirt and fell to my side. He didn't believe me. Of course, he didn't. Why would he? I had almost forgotten that there were lots of people in the pack who didn't like me, or trust me.

He sucked in a quick breath as he returned his gaze to Max's laying form. He quickly looked away. "Max is dead. We are in a middle of a war, so there will be lots of deaths. We get over it and move on. Not big of a deal."

"Don't you feel sorry?" I grabbed his arm when he was ready to end this conversation and leave to go find the others. The wolves were gone, just like most of the vampires. That should mean something.

"Why should I feel sorry?" He prompted.

"You loved him, Dante. And he was in love with you! He made big mistakes, sure. I get it. He kidnapped me. But, I don't believe he-"

"Excuse me, are you defending him?" He pinned me with a scowl that caused me to take a step backward.

"No, i- I'm not defending him!" He blew out a quiet laugh. "I'm just saying that-"

He interrupted me again, not letting me to speak my thoughts. "He made big mistakes." He repeated my words. "Yeah, he did. That's exactly why I killed him. He was leading an entire bunch of dangerous vampires. He brought most of them into our town and they were waiting for him to give the signal to the twins, so they could come and murder all of us. His friends! So, after that, I no longer believe he was really in love with me. He was a big traitor and there is no fucking way I feel sorry for him."

And with that, he walked away from me. He disappeared through the pure darkness of the woods. I couldn't convince myself he was right for the simple reason that I had already thought of all of these. His words had become my obsession after I found myself tied in a tree, nearly dying from a fire that was surrounding me.

"We need to go find the others." Someone from behind me called out to me.

Michael and Miss Grand were waiting for me in the gates. I approached them with my head down as realization hit me. Jayden, Riley, Dove and Chase were probably staining their hands with blood while I was feeling helpless. Someone might was dead by now and I had no way of knowing.