untitled

My eyes burned. 

I frantically looked around me trying to see something, anything. It was cloudy. I could faintly see the flashing colors of the chaos around me. I could hear the noises of the fighting. I could feel my heart rate rise as I continued to turn in circles. I thought of my love, who I had lost in the fighting as soon as it began. No one had attacked me since my eyes got damaged. They knew I wasn't a threat anymore. I sank to my knees, hopeless. I didn't know whether it was my friends' or enemies' screams of agony that I heard.

I wept.

I was suddenly distracted from my tears by the feeling of skin against my hand. I startled and tried to rise to my feet when I heard a soft familiar voice in my ear.

"Shhhh sh, I'll help, we need you". He put his hands around my waist and gently helped me to my feet. His hand ran up my back then traced down my arm to wrap around my wrist. His other hand did the same. His warm chest pressed against my back. His breath on my neck. With him nearby, all other sensations meant nothing.

"I'll guide you through it, trust me" His hands lead mine through the familiar routine I used for my magic. Without my eyes, I couldn't aim and had thought this particular sequence hopeless. At one point I could feel his knees at the backs of mine. We fit together like puzzle pieces, forming one picture. As the sequence went on, I became steadier. I knew what I was doing but because I couldn't see it, the deaths didn't feel real. As I got used to the blurry scene around me, it became beautiful. An abstract painting. An impression of the world, nothing more.

The end came.

I was exhausted. The only thing holding me up was his warm body. I pressed into It and he pressed back. His arms dropped mine and returned to my waist.

"You're amazing. I'm so glad I found you in time. Just keep breathing. We'll fix your eyes." I could only nod as I sank into him. Fully trusting him and his words.