Prologue

It was a simple task, that's what they all said. Just stroll right up and offer peace to the man who could destroy them all, they assured. Simple task. In fact, this was so simple that there seemed to be no harm in sending the youngest daughter to take care of it. With nobody to protect her. And everybody knew she couldn't fight.

        It was nothing short of suicide that her brother was asking of her. No matter how many times the juvenile would point this out though, she was only answered with nervous laughter. "You'll be fine! Trust me, if we send you with any troops, he'll suspect an ambush, and we can't have that."

        "Just one man- a woman, at that?" Flowery wings trembled almost as badly as her voice. "You don't have to let me have a general, but anybody who can fight... even a trainee..." She was handed the amulet. The ruby it donned glowed as soon as it touched her talons; the gold grew hot for an instant. Before her eyes, the gemstone changed from red to green. That's essentialy a no, the daughter thought uneasily. She gingerly pulled the necklace over her head, sighing.

        Her brother tilted his head, a look of pain crossing his face. "I'm so sorry for doing this to you, but you're the only one he'll allow into the castle without chains. He trusts you."

        "It is not a position I like to be in, and It's not a position that should be envied."

        "Yet your our only chance of survival."

        "Of destroying a rebellion!"

        "Please... if you don't do this, the entire realm will fall."

        The smaller dragon placed her small claws on his shoulders, pulling herself up to eye level. "All I'm trying to say is that there might be another way! If we do this, it is in every possibility that he might return."

        "We will see to that."

        "In the treasury? The dungeons? Dear brother, even the deepest and darkest seecrets will face the light after a few millennia." The dragon blinked at his kin, pained and weak and so much older than he truly was. The two stared at one another for awhile, until the sister pulled away, sighing. "Your drive for a bitter end will come back to bite us in the end, Phyro; I'll have you know before you turn this leaf."

        "This will make things better for everyone."

        "But when the secrets are unveiled?"

        The general hardly got a chance to regester what his sister had said when she turned. Before he thought to ask, she was long gone.