Surreal

The walk back was just as surreal.

A cool breeze on my barely covered shoulders, strappy peplum top flouncing over knee-length skirt, freshly tanned legs, alternative Boho cardigan finishing passed my elbows.

Stray hair fluttering on my sun-kissed cheeks, eyes bright from rested sleep, taking in the morning view. Heart fluttering from invisible affection.

I pull back my hair, looping my hair band from my wrist onto my beach-wave golden locks, hair now falling down the middle of my back.

My hand filled with his, interlocked with gentle fingers, reassuring strokes on my index finger.

His fingers adorned with cold rings now digging into mine, painted nails to match clothes from days before, a tender squeeze filled with adoration.

A gentle pull to indicate our new direction, a pace only lovers know, I blush thinking of our night before.

Green eyes searching deep within mine, furrowed brows trying to read my thoughts, a smile of contentment and love as we continue to walk, slowly.

The summer sun is just above the horizon, ready to heat the sea with daytime rays, glistening waves reflecting off the swaying ocean.

Aqua waters filled with sea life deep below, lost treasures and memories of a past world lying on the sea bed only to be seen by passing divers.

Speed boats heading for their new destination, ready for a day at sea with paying passengers, ready to grace calm summer waters with their boughs.

Fishing boats nearing the horizon, trawler men ready to work the day, fish ready to be caught and tasted in homes and restaurants.

A single scratch in the sky from an aeroplane bringing holiday makers to The City Of Angels, bringing tourists to experience a new way of life.

The smell of salty seas, mixed with the smell of him, the sound of waves both far away and close, the sense of calmness all around.

Firm, damp sand beneath my bare toes, still warm from the day before, cool water lapping with each new step.

Past footprints now washed away, stolen by the sea, never to be seen again.

Dedicated swimmers wading through shallow waters for deeper seas, ready to brace themselves for their chilly morning swim.

Palm trees swaying in the early morning winds, dancing shadows on concrete paths and joggers, soon to be filled with daytime walkers, friends and holiday-makers.

Wet pups heading to their owners, ready for praise of retrieving their favourite ball thrown seconds before.

Sandy toes created from leaving the shore, each new step harder through dry grains. Cold water to wash away sandy memories, summer shoes replacing cold cobblestones.

Joining joggers and dog walkers along the Palm lined path, heading for home, heading to make memories.

Clouds forming above, side streets adorned with evidence of family living, evidence of life beyond sun, sand and sea.

Our favourite coffee shop, being prepared for tourists and regulars, delicate tables and chairs being placed outside, a wave from the owner.

The local greengrocer setting out fruit and veg on the footpath, peppers of green, red, yellow and orange, carrots, potatoes and more.

A new chill away from the warming sun along the palm-lined path, an arm around my shoulders, a body close to mine, mirroring my steps.

Moments earlier a warm sun, now cool and cloudy followed by light rain as we near our destination.

Clouds expel their warm gathered water, ensuring we resemble the sea drenched pups from minutes before.

Walking faster, him in front, holding hands, laughing, happy, passing others that match our wetness, passing others caught by the sudden weather change.

Hair sticking to our faces, my once flowing top now a transparent second skin, his light shirt showing tattoo’s below, wet skirt soaked through.

Slipping up a side street to shelter from the storm brewing above, a building protecting us from scattered showers. Up against the wall, him pressed up me, staring into beautiful green eyes.

As he leans in to steal tender kisses I close my eyes, butterflies dancing in my belly, his soft lips on mine, hands on my hips and mine on his.

Slow exploring tongues, firm exploring hands, racing hearts, deepening breathing as he drinks me in, pressing himself firm into me.

A few moments to catch our breath, green eyes dancing between mine and my mouth, a lick of his lips as he hovers open mouthed breathing me in, teasing me, tempting me.

He leans into my ear, breath warm on my cool lobe, kisses just below, a northern whisper “let’s get home”.

Trotting through winding back streets as the rain begins to stop, we slow to a walk, through the gates of home, eager to get inside.

The beach now replaced by a manicured garden, pruned bushes, potted plants, lush green grass, slabbed driveway.

A white single storey house, hidden behind a fence, built years before. Wooden front door, stained to preserve it.

Through the door into the airy hallway, hands on my hips, a kiss to seal the memories just created, knowing what’s to come next…..