Chapter 72 - Loser

PENELOPE'S POV

I yawned and stretched my arms over my head as I woke up, rolling over to look at my mate. He was on his laptop but instantly looked at me when he realized I was awake. For some reason, he did not look happy.

"Good morning... what's the matter?" I asked, rubbing my eye and pushing myself up against the pillows.

"Well, this is the matter." he turned his laptop screen to me. It was a news article with the headline "Is Penelope Pregnant?". Oh boy.

Penelope Herrick, mate of Alpha Hunter Kinley and Luna of the White Fang pack was spotted multiple times this Thursday with what many suspect is a baby bump.

Herrick, 20, has been with the nation's most powerful Alpha since fall of last year, but the two have never discussed heirs with their pack. Herrick was seen in a purple tank top  that made many question pregnancy early in the afternoon before she was spotted again at Southside Steakhouse in a little black dress with her beau. Herrick was observed drinking some water while Alpha Kinley enjoyed a glass of wine, so we'll let you do the math.

The article had zoomed in photos and everything. I really hated thinking I had no idea they were even being taken.

"Wellll.... Looks like you won our bet," I shrugged nervously.

"Penelope, I told you people would notice if you went out wearing that. And now look, the entire pack knows about your pregnancy 4 months too early." he shook his head.

"I hope you don't expect to be going out very often for the rest of this time, because now you've put a very big target on your back." he told me sternly.

"Hunter, that's such a controlling thing to say," I sighed.

"I'm only being controlling to keep you safe! I have enemies, you know? I have people that want to hurt me and my pack." he tried to reason with me.

"I really didn't realize how much I'm watched when I'm in public.. I didn't mean for this to happen, or I wouldn't have even made that stupid bet!" I argued.

He took a deep breath and put his hand on his forehead.

"I know you didn't mean for this, Penelope. But now it's over with and I'm just not very pleased with you." he sighed, and my wolf felt absolutely heartbroken.

"I'm gonna go for a workout." he pushed himself out of bed and left the room.

I was way too hormonal to have him mad at me like this right now. My wolf felt absolutely gutted.

The only thing I could really think to do was invite Kayla and Jade over so I could at least talk to people who weren't mad at me. Jade texted back saying that her and David were out nursery shopping today, but Kayla arrived not even a half hour after I asked.

"Ugh, I will never get over how gorgeous this place is!" she said as she walked inside and took off her sunglasses.

"We should use the pool! I've been dying to go for a swim." I suggested, and she agreed.

We grabbed towels and hopped in, the sun shining on us hard today.

"You seem kind of down. Are you good?" Kayla asked me. I smiled and shook my head. She could always tell.