Its Actually You

This took time, apologies

"James-"

Bucky looked up when he heard her say his name, eyes widening slightly in surprise. 

It can't be-

But it was.

He stood up, eyes never leaving hers, as leaving his glass on the table and he slowly walked to her, as if he walked too fast he'd realize that this was just wishful thinking, that she would disappear.

'Verena-' 

Its actually you

He said her name as he walked closer to her, quickly looking her up and down, before meeting her eyes again. 'It's- It's been a while-'

He watched as she let out a broken chuckle, looking down for a second, then back at him 'It has- I was told you died.'

'Yeah.. so was I'

'At least I'm not the only one who was misinformed then' She said, that heavy Russian accent of hers like music to his ears, so fucking familiar.

'I guess you're right'

He saw something in her expression shift ever so slightly as she asked, 'How've you been..?'

'I- ' he sighed, looking down, remembering the reason he came to this bar in the first place. 'It was okay.. got snapped back.. then- it was Steve's funeral today..'

She has to pause, brows furrowing for a second before remembering and connecting the dots.

'Oh- oh- You mean Rogers..'

He nodded.

'And you came here to- let me guess- drink the pain away, even though you know it doesn't work that way for us?'

He sighed again and nodded once more 'The serum is a bitch at times'

'Don't I know it-' 

And there was something about the way she said is that made him chuckle ever so slightly, quietly, and he looked back up, and at her.

'And you-?'

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

'So much has changed- in a good way though - I have a bed now- and I get to eat-'

She watched him nod in agreement. 'Yeah, I get that, I was the same way too'

She nodded, smiling slightly, and then paused, before turning around and telling the bartender 'One vodka on the rocks'

Bucky laughed a bit, shaking his head slightly 'Still the same old alcohol aficionado I see-'

'Oh definitely, except instead of having to sneak to a bar after missions, I get to have it as and when I please' She smiled, turning to take the drink from the bartender, muttering 'Спасибо', before downing it, then looking at Bucky and smirking.

He raised his eyebrow 'Oh is that a challenge?'

'Depends Barnes.'

'Yeah? On what'

'On whether you're scared I'll out-drink you'

'Lies- absolute lies' He chuckled, turning to the bartender 'Zack, get us a round of shots, put it on my tab' 

He turned to look back at her 'You are so on'

'Give me your worst Barnes'

'Oh I will Ivanova, don't worry'

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

An hour and multiple rounds of shots later, the pair were still sitting at the bar counter. Verena grabbed the last shot, downing it, and slammed the small glass on the counter, grinning and smirking at Bucky. 

'What did I tell ya-'

'Don't you dare-'

'I can drink more than you-' She said, laughing 'I told you~!'

'What did I just say-' He said, rolling his eyes playfully, looking at her, smiling widely. This whole interaction with her, the drinking, the talking, the laughter- while he may have not forgotten what happened to Steve, his mood had been considerably improved. 'We should do this sometime again'

'We definitely should'

She smiles softly at him. 

'I should get going..-' He said 'I have an.. appointment.. tomorrow morning' He hesitated slightly, not wanting to reveal the whole truth.

The hesitation threw her off slightly, but she nodded. 'Yeah, so should I'

'I'll see you soon then'

They said their goodbyes, and walked out of the bar together, before parting ways to head home.

She walked up to her small place, unlocking the door and closing it behind her. 

That was an.. unexpected.. reunion-

She put her keys to the side, shrugging off her leather jacket, before walking into her room.

Not unwelcome though

She lay on her back, on the bed, looking at the ceiling, her mind racing.

Something's going to happen

I just don't know what