Glossary I · 1-11

As befits a sciency novel with a nerdy protagonist and a big world, Komoreby has a plethora of words that may be unfamiliar. Not just science terms and weird places, but there are words from anime, video games, history, Greek/Roman mythology, various cultures, other languages and more. This is Glossary I (Prologue and Chapters 1 to 11).

Note: This is organized by chapter for easy use while reading the story. If you're looking for a specific word, make use of the "find" tool on your web browser.

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

Calabi-Yau manifold: In string theory, the Calabi-Yau manifold is a shape that represents extra spatial dimensions. Scientists suggest that every single point in our universe is actually a compactified Calabi-Yau space in six dimensions. The string theory is often said to be the most promising candidate for the theory of everything.

___________

1  |  A LEAF IN A WHIRLWIND

Mobs: The word "mob" is usually used to refer to a hostile non-player character (NPC).

Purupurupuru: The sound made by Den Den Mushi snail phones in the anime, One Piece. It's also a Japanese onomatopoeia for what's soft and jiggly.

Rogue character: In online role-playing games, rogue character classes specialize in stealth and surprise attacks.

Lunar elf: One of the playable races in Arcana Online. Evanna's character is a lunar elf.

Honor points: Honor points can be earned by certain high-level quests and by killing players from the opposing faction. The points can be used to buy special gear.

Komoreby: A futuristic eco-city. The name is derived from the Japanese word komorebi, which means sunlight filtering through trees.

Komoreby High: The most prestigious high school in the city of Komoreby.

Nuara: Evanna Zeller's hometown. It's a mountainous little city surrounded by misty forest. The name is derived from the Sinhalese word for Kandy, the hill capital of Sri Lanka (නුවර Nuwara). Nuara is inspired by the Sri Lankan cities of Kandy and Nuwara Eliya.

Serin Drive: A shady suburban road where Evanna's house is located. The word Serin is composed of the Japanese "se" (星) meaning star and "rin" (林) meaning forest.

Pixel art: A visual style where individual pixels act as the building blocks that make up the image. Some modern video games like Undertale opt for this retro style due to its nostalgic charm, bringing to mind old DOS games like Prince of Persia.