eins

Mina knew her place in her family. She was the youngest daughter of the Ruling Prince of Hesse and by Rhine, Wilhelm VI. Her mother was a Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, and her older siblings were happily married into the Royal and Aristocratic families of Europe. 

Her eldest brother, Hereditary Prince Friedrich, had married Princess Joséphine Bonaparte.

Princess Luisa had married Prince Alexander of Norway and was settled in Oslo. 

Prince Ludwig had married Lady Mary Fitzalan-Howard, and lived in Berlin. 

The closest sibling to her in age, Princess Annunciata, had married the Crown Prince of Belgium and was living in Brussels, preparing to become Queen. 

Mina, Princess Marie Wilhelmine Frederika, was the last one left. 

She supported her father in his efforts in their Principality, representing him at events in all the major cities. 

It was at an event in Dortmund that everything changed for Mina. 

If there was one thing Mina knew about the people of Hesse and by Rhine, it was that they loved football, and they loved seeing the Royal Family and football combined. An invitation to Borussia Dortmund's Christmas party seemed like the perfect publicity event for both club and Princess. 

Mina arrived at the party to the flash of cameras. The sequins and jewels embedded in the tulle of her Oscar de la Renta dress sparkled as she made her way inside, where she was immediately greeted by members of the team. She said hello to all of them, but there was one who caught her eye immediately. She was led through to the ballroom where the party was being held, and found her seat at a table. When she looked at the name cards, she found the man who'd caught her eye was to sit next to her. 

He arrived soon enough, and handed her a glass of wine as he sat down.

"I didn't know what you liked, Your Royal Highness, so I hope white is ok" He said, almost apologetically.

"Perfect," she replied, "and call me Mina, all this Your Royal Highness stuff will get old very quickly"