Year 1100

I was five when i first stumbled across a town full of trolls. As a child, i was fascinated by them. How do rocks that move, talk, and breathe live? How do they live? How can they live? How could they live? Why do they loathe the sun? I would've asked them myself but i heard the callings of my mother before the thought crossed my mind.

I was a curious child. I always questioned why things are how it is. Well, it is normal for a developing child to be curious of the things around them, but me, more so than others. My parents say I'm an odd one to be so full of curiosity and questions about the world, but i thought that it was odd that they weren't.

"That is just how things are. If that is how it was intended to be, then so be it," my father said.

"But, why?" I whined. "If that is how things are, then why is it so? Have you ever questioned that?"

Father eyes held sympathy for a reason I didn't know at the time. "I have, my child. I have questioned many times, though i was never bestowed the answer. Maybe some day you will. And when that day comes, i will be proud of you."

At the time, i was disappointed that he didn't have all the answers i wanted, but right then i silently vowed to him and myself to seek the answers of this world. I didn't have even a sliver of understanding what would be waiting for me. Not even the slightest. I would say i regret it but I don't, never.

My mother and i used to often go out foraging for food. One time, i asked why we needed to, why i needed to. "Because," my mother said. "When the time comes when we are not together, is the time my teachings will prove useful."

"But, we'll always be together," my innocent self said. "Right?"

I couldn't see it but my mother's face softened at my positive yet naive mindset. Well, it is to be expected from a child that didn't know any better.

"Of course, we'll always be together," my mother reassured. I've wondered if it was more so towards her than me.

"Promise?"

"I can't promise that, my child."

"But, why?" I questioned.

That made her even more upset, her eyes glazed by now. She squated down to my level, her hand placed on my head as she strokes my hair as if to comfort me. But what is there to comfort, i questioned but never said. Looking back, it was more so to comfort herself than me.

"You'll soon learn that someday, not everything will be how you want it to be." She said with sad eyes while having a smile on her lips. I wanted to ask what that meant but seeing as how upset she was, i decided not to ask any further.

I remember one time when i was about five- six years old, i was in the woods with my mother foraging for food. She was teaching me how to look for the poisonous food so that i won't accidentally eat it then get sick and die. Just some normal bonding.

A pretty flower caught my eye so i went to admire it and study it up close to draw it. My mother always says to me, "Draw anything and everything that is vibrant and colourful. It will almost always be something dangerous." I admit, that has saved me multiple times but i have never had the chance to thank her.