Ch. 7 - Conflagration

CONFLAGRATION: an extensive fire which destroys a great deal of land or property

It was a quiet walk and train ride as I headed to town with Iguro. He had left Kaburamaru at home, so it was just the two of us.

I nervously fiddled with my hands as we sat next to one another on the train. For a few quiet moments, all felt as though it were back to normal, as if the past five days hadn't happened.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked, trying to get the conversation over with. Iguro's half-covered face quickly turned pink.

"I...I think I made a mistake," he said quietly, also folding his hands together tightly so that they turned bright white, "I made my first mistake with Mitsuri, but then the second came shortly after, not even a week ago."

"Obanai," I whispered quietly as tears began to sneak up on me.

"I didn't want to lose you," he shook his head, looking down at his lap, "I never thought that I would be the one to fall in love, I also didn't think that I would be the one to call it off."

"Then why did you?" I said, continuing my whisper with my voice now trembling. "We could have talked it out...figure out what happened." He stayed quiet for a moment.

"If there's one thing I know about myself it's that I don't know anything about myself," he looked at me. "I may have dirtied my hands, and maybe they never will be...but they can still carry you home when you're ready to sleep." I saw tears begin to form at the base of his eyes, something I didn't expect from someone usually so stoic.

"Obanai...I...I don't know if we can go back..." I whimpered, feeling my heart pound against my chest. He placed a caring hand on my knee. Its warmth bringing immediate comfort.

"Sure," he nodded sadly, looking away from me but leaving his hand.

The rest of the train ride continued as such, quietly. We got off the train and made it back into town where the dim lights lit the street in the early evening hours. It was truly cozy to see the citizens smiling and laughing as they enjoyed the main drag. It brought back warm memories with Rengoku.
The Izakaya was just as cozy with a warm atmosphere. The two of us sat at a booth toward the back of the bar so that Iguro could confidently show his face, quietly minding our own business as the waiter brought us drinks and trying their best not to stare at his scars.
We started off by discussing good memories and how training was going. It was a good, casual conversation as if little to no tension existed between us, my mind tried to put the train conversation behind itself and it felt like Iguro was trying to do the same.

The lightweights we are, it didn't take too long to be almost completely inebriated.

"Mayumi?" Iguro looked at me, face reddened from the alcohol.

"Yeah?" I asked, lifting an eyebrow which now felt like a heavy weight on my forehead.

"Are you really trying to get pregnant with Kyojuro?" He asked boldly, blue and gold eyes wavering behind low eyelids.

"What?!" I nearly shrieked, gaining just a few eyes that surrounded us. "No, no...Tengen is just an asshole...a horny asshole."

"But you did let him in..." Iguro tilted his head downward and lifted his eyes up, widening them. I squinted my eyes at him with confusion, mouth hanging open just a little bit as if I were trying to look at something far away.

"Not following," I shook my head, hand trembling as I tried to lift my glass.

"You let him cum in you," Iguro said outright, accidentally slamming his glass on the wooden table. "Whoa, sorry..." he hiccuped. Hard to believe on this behavior that we were both master swordsmen.