Part 2: Chapter 15- The Second Battle

"They are coming!" a cat screeched. Fernstorm jumped to her paws in surprise. Silverstar came out of her den, yowling orders.

"Warriors, protect the elders! Defend the camp!"

"We can defend ourselves!" Russeteyes insisted.

Fernstorm quickly stood guard at the elder's den and Russeteyes nodded reluctantly.

A wave of dark cats flooded the camp entrance, which shocked Fernstorm. Where are our warriors?

She lauched herself into battle to help her apprentice, Icepaw, who had little battle training. The small tom was terrified as she chased away the Dark Forest cat.

"It's okay," Fernstorm mewed. "Go and defend the elders!"

As her apprentice pelted off, she pounced back into battle, she couldn't see Silverstar or Hailfall anywhere, which worried her.

But what made her angry and shocked it that Rockpelt had leaped into battle, his eyes filled with the light of battle.

Fernstorm tackled a Dark Forest rogue and bit onto his dark pelt. He yowled in pain and quickly sped off, with Fernstorm in pursuit.

Looking at the invaders, it looked like normal rogues have joined the fight; not all of them looked ghostly.

Shaking away her thoughts, Fernstorm carried on to fight.

~~~~

"ShadowClan, we need your help!" a cat yowled.

Alderstep realised it was Webfoot of ThunderClan, his gray pelt was stained with blood.

Owlstar came out of her den, and mewed, "Littletail, organise battle patrols, with as much cats as we can spare."

Alderstep was put on the first patrol which was sent out immediately. They crossed the tunnel and into ThunderClan territory.

When they arrived, the ThunderClan cats looked relieved. Alderstep saw Scar, one of the rogues.

Snarling, he pounced onto him. Scar was already injured, his pelt had claw marks all over it and he was bleeding.

"Bark!" he snarled.

"It's Alderstep, Scar!" Alderstep growled.

Scar pounced onto him but Alderstep was stronger, and he pushed him back easily. The rogue tried to bite him but he blocked it with a paw.

Alderstep clawed at Scar's injured wounds, and he yowled in pain and fear. The ShadowClan warrior threw him off and Scar lay panting.

"Alderstep, please don't kill me," he begged as Alderstep padded forward to him menacingly.

"Why shouldn't I?" Alderstep asked, putting his paw on Scar's throat.

"I will help you if you let me live," Scar gasped.

Alderstep narrowed his eyes. Is it a trick?

But the look in Scar's eyes told him that he was not lying. Slowly, he let go of the rogue and pulled him up.

"You will help me fight this battle," he mewed. "But I will bring you to the ThunderClan medicine cat first."

Scar leaned on Alderstep as he helped him to the medicine cat den. The rogue's eyes were drooping with exhaustion and blood kept flowing from his wounds.

Alderstep left him at the ThunderClan medicine cat, Stagwind, side. She looked at him in surprise but dragged Scar further in to treat him.

Alderstep then went back to fight.

~~~~

Fernstorm saw Alderstep carried a rogue that attacked him. She was confused but didn't stop him.

She went to the middle of the camp, where the fighting was the thickest. After ShadowClan arrived, WindClan and RiverClan have too but they were still outnumbered.

Suddenly, a golden tom charged into the camp. Fernstorm tensed up and got ready to attack, but soon she realised that the golden cat was fighting the enemy.

They had more allies! she thought in relief.

Behind the golden tom was many more cats of different pelt colours and they all were attacking the Dark Forest cats.

Fernstorm pounced onto an enemy cat and clawed its ears. In a flash, the golden tom was beside her, fighting off the cat with ease.

When he saw her, he dipped his head. "My name is Goldenstar. My Clan is here to help yours."

Another Clan? Fernstorm wondered, but the battle wouldn't wait for her. She nodded to Goldenstar and ran back into battle.

A black and gray tom, who looked to be the leader, was fighting Rockpelt. The elder was furious as the tom kept dodging his swipes.

The black and gray tom easily beat Rockpelt, and to her horror, he grabbed Rockpelt by the neck and snapped it.

Rockpelt fell from the tom's claws limply as the tom laughed. Anger bubbled in her stomach as she heard Honeyfrost yowl, "Rockpelt, no! Longdrop, I will avenge his death!"

Her former mentor pounced onto Longdrop, who simply batted her with his claws.

Fernstorm rushed to her aid and quickly bit on Longdrop's shoulder. He growled and stared at her as Honeyfrost stumbled away.

"You are Froststar's kit," he growled, beginning to circle around her.

"I am," Fernstorm replied, glaring at him.

"Then I will help you reunite with your mother!" he snarled, pouncing onto her.

Fernstorm lifted her paws to defend herself from the fury of swipes at aimed at her.

"You are nothing," Longdrop taunted, swiping at her face.

"At least I am loyal!" she growled, raking her claws down his pelt.

Longdrop looked furious and he leaped at her. Fernstorm dodged and bit onto one of his ear.

He broke from her grip, his ear bleeding heavily. He faced her with his lip curled. "You can't stop me!" he spat. "You don't have powers, while I do! You are just an ordinary warrior who caused your mother's death!"

"No," Fernstorm replied coldly.

"What?" Longdrop sounded bewildered, oddly.

"No," she repeated calmly.

"You were the one who fell into the river, then Froststar had to save you," Longdrop growled. "So you are the one who caused Froststar's death!"

"It was my choice," she replied in a lower voice.

"What?" Longdrop stumbled backwards in shock. "But you-"

"I am here," Fernstorm growled. "I am Froststar."

"This is impossible!" he gasped. "She died! You are her kit!"

"StarClan works in many ways, Longdrop," she growled. "And today, you will be stopped."

"You can't defeat me!" Longdrop snarled. "You are nothing but a measly apprentice!"
"I am a true warrior," she replied coldly. "And you are not. Now, you will die."

Fernstorm, or rather Froststar, lunged at him and clawed open his throat. But at the same time his claws reached hers, and they both fell in their own pool of blood.

The Dark Forest cats and the rogues retreated after that, but as Hailfall stared at where Longdrop have fell, there was his littermate.

"Fernstorm, no!" he cried, running to his sister's motionless body. "I can't lose you after our mother's death!"

But his loving littermate didn't reply. Hailfall let out a wail of grief.

They had won the battle, but at a deadly cost.