ONE

[7:55 AM; ONE WEEK LATER]

Today is your first day at U.A. High School.

Hiro stays behind to help you with your uniform and make sure your tie is on correctly, despite having shown you how to do it properly several times. He even prepares a bento for you, a gesture he used to do a lot more often when you were a kid and he wasn't so busy living a double life. Sometimes you wish it could have stayed that way.

You think this is his way of supporting you as you make your departure from the nest; the four walls of the apartment you were kept hidden in for most of your life. You know he's just trying his best and you believe he's doing a great job. You miss this side of him dearly.

You check your appearance in the mirror for the third time in twenty minutes. You smooth down your hair, which is styled in a way it's never been before. It's a slick, clean-pressed look that makes you feel preppy and girly - you don't think it suits you at all. A nauseous feeling bubbles in your stomach and you furrow your eyebrows at your reflection.

You aren't one to care about what others think of you, but you feel nervous for some reason. Perhaps it was the idea of being catapulted back into society and surrounded by people your own age so suddenly - how were you even supposed to act? Would they like you? Are the classes going to be hard? And most importantly, what if you found one of your soulmates there?

You shake your head at the intrusive thoughts. You aren't going to U.A. to make friends - you have a mission to fulfill and you shouldn't let trivial things get in your way. The last thing you want is All For One's disapproval and Hiro's disappointment. You refuse to fail this mission.

"It's almost time to go, [Name]." Hiro's voice sounds from the living room, drawing your attention to the clock above the vanity. He's right.

You pull your mask on, tug your blazer closed, and adjust the itchy skirt on your waist before exiting the bathroom. Your brown dress shoes thump against the wooden floors as you walk; clack clack clack, they go. It's a clunky, annoying sound. You don't like it. You hope they don't give you blisters at the end of the day.

Hiro stands by the door, your backpack in hand. You nod at him, taking the [color] fabric sack and slipping your arms through the straps. You haven't worn one since elementary school. It's somewhat heavy and the weight on your back is unfamiliar but, honestly, you could get used to it. It gives you a sense of purpose, a reminder of your exclusivity.

"Are you ready? You remember how to get to the train?" The dark haired man is trying to keep his expression neutral but you can tell he's fretting over you.

It's your first time really doing something outside of the apartment since the age of seven - you aren't just going down the block to the cemetery or hitting up the corner store this time. This is your first real mission since your initiation with the League of Villains, and you are doing it all by yourself. You can only imagine how Hiro feels right now.

Reaching up, you grab his hand. He looks shocked you are initiating skinship but gently wraps his long, nimble fingers around your own nonetheless. Craning your neck, you look up to meet Hiro's dark eyes.

"It's okay, Hiro-san. You don't have to worry about me anymore." You assure, gaze unwavering and determined. He has too much on his plate as it is and you refuse to be an added factor in the equation. He's held your hand for long enough, and now it's time for you to go your own way. As if proving this to yourself, you slip your hand away, allowing it to fall back down to your side.

Hiro looks torn, his shoulders slumping as a small, genuine smile graces his face. His fingers ghost your chin and somehow, he looks as though he's proud of you. Not yet, you muse, you have yet to prove yourself worthy of that gaze.