chapter one

Everly

My mother was constantly stressed about work, getting deadlines in, meeting with clients, and at the end of the day it was about taking care of me and the bills. My dad left when I was around nine.

Whenever she asked me to do things, I tried to never argue or complain. Like this morning, I was planning to sleep in a couple of hours before work but she needed me to run something over to the Cameron's house.

I always woke up go to an empty house. She leaves at around 7am, it was now 9:30. As always there was a post it note on the fridge.

'Sarah said she'd give you a ride to work today, don't forget the box. I placed it on the top shelf in the side closet. Be careful with it! Aka don't drop it.

Xo Mom.'

The box was a bit heavy, I could hear metal clinks when I grabbed it off the top shelf. I never questioned what my mom always had me drop at the Cameron's house but it was starting to get, well weird.

Their house was a few houses down so I always just walked there. I was doing alright with carrying it but like I said it was a bit heavy.

When I made my way up their driveway I could spot Rafe towards the back of the house. He was with a couple of other dudes.

As I got closer, my vision became more clear. Rafe lifted up his shirt just enough to reveal a slash against his side.

I don't know what came over me or if the box really was getting too heavy but I dropped it. Whatever was in there was definitely metal because of the noise it made when it hit the ground.

"Shit." I bent down to look at the box. I didn't know if I broke it or if anything was damaged. It was sealed.

I didn't need to look up to know that someone was walking quickly towards me.

"Always so clumsy aren't you Foster?" I heard him say. "Oh fuck off Cameron." I looked up at him.

Rafe was already tall, and I mean really tall but the angle I was at made him seem like a giant.

"I hope that isn't the box my dad said your mom was giving him." He proceeded to grab the box from me. "What else is it supposed to be?" I shook my head at his dim witted comment.

Sarah ran out the front door and paused when she saw me, "Shit Everly I forgot I was supposed to give you a ride." I picked up my bag, "Well what you cant?" I asked.

She continued walking while fidgeting with her keys, "Topper called it's an emergency, I'm sorry." Sarah turned around for a second, "Rafe drop her off at work."

He scoffed, "Yeah right I have things to do." I rolled my eyes at him, "Like what? Bench press and post a mirror pic on instagram with the caption the boys" I laughed.

He looked back at me, "Keep pushing my buttons Foster and I swear." Just then Ward walked out. "Everly how are you?" He asked.

"Oh, I'm fine. Just came by to drop off a box from my mother." I smiled awkwardly. He noticed I was in my work uniform, "Work today?"

I fiddled with my bag strap, "Yeah but I don't have a ride so I have to call out." I gave a small laugh to hide how uncomfortable I was. He smacked his lips together, "Oh none sense, Rafe will give you a ride." Ward waved his hand towards his son.

"You see I would but I really have things to do." Rafe argued back. "Rafe." His dad said with a straight face. "Be a good neighbor and an obedient son and just do what I ask." He went on.

Rafe rolled his tongue around to the side of his cheek and gave a small nod. He walked over to his car and gestured for me to get in on the passenger side.

Ward gave a small wave as we pulled out of the drive way. "Look you really don't need to take me, you can just drop me off at home." I suggested.

"We're already in the car." He muttered. I didn't like awkward silence, it just made it well awkward.

"Where'd you get the cut from?" I questioned. He furrowed his brows together and glanced over at me, "What cut?"

I pointed at his side, "I saw when I walked up." He let out a laugh, "Is that why you dropped the box? Did I distract you?"

I crossed my arms, "As if. The box was just heavy." I argued.

"Mhm." I could see him smirking from the corner of my eye.

He placed his hand down on the gearstick, "The cut is just from an accident. Nothing to worry about Foster."

"I'm not worried about you, I was just curious."

Awkward silence filled the car.

"So-" We both said at the same time. And for some strange reason we paused and looked at each other and laughed. It was a bit weird, laughing with Rafe Cameron.

"You first." I spoke. He adjusted himself in his seat, "Alright, you still with that wannabe music artist?" He asked.

"He has a name." I slightly shook my head. "Yeah I know and I don't care." He shrugged.

Vince Scott is his name. My ex boyfriend. We broke up last week on my birthday. You can imagine how well that went.

"You care enough to ask about him." I teased. Rafe pulled up to a stop light, he tilted his head as he looked at me. "I just wanted to know if you were still together or not."

I don't know why he needed to know. We rarely talked and whenever we did it certainly wasn't about my love life, it was just teasing here and there. Typical snarky comments.

"We broke up."

"Good."

I was completely confused now, "Good?" I questioned. "Yeah he was a complete douche." Rafe complained. "And you aren't?" I laughed.

He shook his finger at me, "No Foster, we are completely different douchebag types. Plus I don't like his energy, case closed."

For once I agreed with him. Considering why we broke up, he was douche. A cold hearted piece of shit douchebag.

As we pulled into the parking lot, Vince was parked right in front of my job. Leaning on his car with a girl leaning on the car next to him.

"Fuck." I muttered.

I opened the car door, Rafe rolled down the window as I did so.

Vince walked over, "Since when do you hang out with Rafe Cameron?" He asked in a rude tone.

Rafe leaned over a little to see better out the window. I was standing next to the door, "Since when do you fucking care music boy?"

I didn't think too much about Rafes response or why he did, he was always looking for an argument which would in his hopes lead to a fight.

"Foster." Rafe called out for me. I leaned down a bit, "Yeah?"

"See you at the party friday." Rafe smirked at me before driving off.

Party?

*****

Party scene is going to be eventful :)

tiktok edit account: papayax03