Prologue

England, 1910

     "I will not marry him!" Caroline Wilson said as she flung herself onto her bed.

     Jane Wilson looked at her sister. Caroline's red hair was in disarray from her earlier horseback ride. Jane's auburn hair was swept up in a bun. She laid her hand on the twenty-two year's old back. She rubbed it comfortingly. Caroline sat up.

     "Why won't you marry Mr. Treyane?" Jane asked. "He is a nice man. We have known his family for years."

     "I am in love with someone else," Caroline admitted.

     "Who?" Jane asked.

     "Joshua Owen," Caroline said.

     Jane's lips parted with a gasp. "When?" she asked.

     "Three months ago I realized I was in love with him," Caroline said. "We have been meeting secretly for one month."

     Jane's mind whirled as she digested this new information. "Why don't you tell Papa?" she asked.

     "I cannot," Caroline said. "He gave Mr. Treyane his word that he would see me wed to him. You know Papa never breaks his word."

     "Yes," Jane said. It was one of the things people liked about Stuart Wilson. He never went back on his word.

     "I do not know what to do!" Caroline wailed. "I cannot marry anyone else except Joshua. He proposed to me last night. I accepted."

     "No, Caroline, you did not!" Jane said, growing upset. "Papa will be angry. Not to mention Mr. Treyane."

     "I must follow my heart," Caroline said, tears in her eyes. "Don't you understand?"

     "I want you to be happy," Jane said.

     "Joshua makes me happy," Caroline said. She got a wistful look on her face as she thought of her love.

     Jane tried to swallow her jealousy. At the age of twenty-four, she was past the age of when most women married. She was considered a spinster. She gave up her dreams of marrying and having a family. Even though she could never marry, doesn't mean she wanted her sister to give up her dreams.

     "We must tell Papa," Jane said. She got up from the bed.

     Caroline grabbed her arm. "We cannot!" she said. "He will get angry and forbid me to see Joshua."

     "What do you suppose we do then?" Jane asked, putting her hands on her hips.

     "You shall take my place as Mr. Treyane's bride," Caroline said. "I will tell Papa that I accept the suit. On the day of the wedding, you will be the bride. Joshua and I will elope to Greta Green."

     "That is crazy!" Jane said. "Papa will be furious. Mr. Treyane will feel betrayed. I won't do it."

     "Please, sister," Caroline pleaded. "It is the only way. Mr. Treyane will be honorable and stay married to you after he finds out. I will be miserable if I do not marry Joshua. Do you really want me to be miserable like  you?"

     Jane flinched. Caroline's words hurt. She was quite content to stay with her family and tend to the sick and injured in the nearby village.

     But maybe this is your chance to live your dream, a voice inside her head teased. You may not be able to marry the man of your dreams, but you can still have children.

     "I will do it," Jane heard herself say.

     Caroline began to jump up and down. "Oh, thank you!" she said. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! I must tell Joshua!"

     Caroline went over to the mirror and began to fix up her hair. Jane watched her. Caroline was everything a man could want. She was of medium height and slender. Everyone loved her. Her parents spoiled her. Even though Caroline was younger, Jane always felt she was always in her shadow. That she wasn't good enough. She had very few suitors.

     The reality of what Jane was going to do to poor Mr. Treyane hit her like a rock. Her heart fell. What have I done?