p r o l o u g e

"hey have you heard?"

the girl huffed, a sharp breath falling from her parted lips.

her brows furrowed anxiously as small murmurs rolled off her tongue like a mantra, her delicate and cautious [color] hues darting around the small hallway that echoed and groaned.

"about what?"

an exasperated sigh slipped out as her patched and [color] skinned hand clutched at the rusted silver knob on the door.

as she used her strength to push open the door, she grimaced at the ear splitting screech it made towards the sudden intrusion.

"hanako-san of the toilets, the seventh school mystery!"

her painted nails dug into the uniform skirt she wore, making a few small pulls in the fabric as she hesitantly made her way towards the second stall in the back of the room.

she immediately noted that the whole room was dusty, dirty and smelled like mold, however it was definitely not as bad as she thought it would be.

"who?"

the girl stopped in front of the second stall closest to the back, her brows furrowed with anxiety and her bottom lip bruised from the minutes she spent biting it in worrisome anticipation.

her hand raised slowly, a deep, heavy feeling settling in the bottom of her stomach like a mangled car crash of unsure feelings.

"hanako-san! they say when you summon her, she'll grant you one wish but as payment... she'll take something super important from you in return."

she spoke aloud, her voice raspy and unwilling to work, as she repeated the sentence her friend had forced upon her earlier that day.

'...are you there?'

silence hung thick in the air once she finished, her breathing quickened, her eyes darting around for any quick glimpse of a supernatural dead girl as her hand fell back to her side.

"seriously?! what if she takes your life as payment?!"

she sighed.

she wasn't sure whether it was in relief or disappointment. But she ignored the feeling and turned on her heel, preparing a speech on how to tell her friend that this 'hanako-san' wasn't real.

tap tap

she froze, her body locking up as fear started to settle in from the realization that someone had just tapped her on the shoulder.

someone in an abandoned girls bathroom.

"calm down! she hasn't taken anyones life yet. but i hear it just depends on the wish."

her head turned slowly to inspect who had tapped her shoulder, when she caught sight of a boy, not much older than her if it all, with a messy mop of green hair mostly covered and pushed down with some old school uniform hat, and mischievous viridian hues that stared through her soul.

he smirked, the corner of his broken lips pulling back farther into a wolfish grin. he quickly looked her up and down, his eyes catching momentarily on the pendant that rested against her chest.

' "hanako-san" at your service,' he bowed, his right hand coming up to tip his uniform hat.