Chapter 3

I begin to sing as I soap myself up and when I rinse myself off with one of the handheld nozzles I rinse the tile off as well

I begin to sing as I soap myself up and when I rinse myself off with one of the handheld nozzles I rinse the tile off as well. No need for anyone to be a witness to this ridiculous display, the last gasp of a thirty-seven-year-old man for his best friend's daughter.

I take my time getting dressed again after my shower. Annoyingly, I've got a hard-on again just thinking about Mia sitting on the other side of that wall.

This is really going to be too much. And this is just her first day here, for God's sake.

I adjust myself and check the mirror before taking a deep breath and leaving my office, walking right around the corner to the area we've turned into Mia's office.

With a quick knock on the door, I poke my head inside. She spins halfway around in the chair, looking every bit as guilty as I feel.

"How's it going in here?" I ask, taking in the sight of her sitting in the small but comfortable-looking space. She's looking anything but comfortable, though. Slightly disheveled and wide-eyed, like a deer caught in headlights. My cock twitches at the sight, and it's enough to make me remind myself of all the reasons why I shouldn't let myself be thinking or feeling these things.

She's my best friend's daughter.

She's an employee now.

She's years younger than I am.

And she's fucking smoking hot.

"Going great," she says, nibbling at her lip a little before giving me a nervous smile. "I was just, um..." She waves her hand in the direction of the computer behind her. "Just getting acquainted with the... files."

I try to hide the smile that's forming on my lips, but I can't quite manage to keep a straight face. Getting acquainted with the files? What does that even mean? Not to mention the fact that the screen behind her is completely blank. If there are any files in this little office, I'd bet money that she hasn't made their acquaintance yet.

"Well, hopefully, you'll find the workload tolerable," I say, still doing my best to wipe the smirk off my face. "Maybe even... enjoyable."

I can see a spark in her eyes, and we both know at that moment that I'm not really talking about the files or anything remotely to do with work. Her face was a little pink before, but now her cheeks turn a brighter shade of red, and her mouth falls open in a perfect little pink half moon at my little innuendo.

It's nothing, though... right? Just some light banter between old friends. Sure, my cock jumps a little at the thought of pressing into that sweet, warm, waiting mouth, but damn. And that's okay, too, as long as I keep it to myself and keep it in my pants. She has a hot body, and I'm a healthy man. The way my body responds to hers is purely physical.

Normal.

Natural.

But it's also going to be a hell of a distraction if I keep it going, and there are other things that require my attention today.

"I'm sure I can manage whatever comes my way," she says, bringing my thoughts right back to where they were before—right back to where they don't need to be. The way she's smiling, so innocent and sweet, makes me wonder for a moment if this little game we're playing is only happening in my own head. But those eyes. Her eyes tell a different story.

She knows exactly what she's doing to me, the little tease.

"Good to know," I say, nodding curtly. "I'm sure you'll do well here."

I need to get out of this small space, to clear my head and get ready for the conference call with Japan, but it's as if my feet are glued to the floor. I just can't tear myself away—can't even stop looking at her.

Just turn and go, for fuck's sake.

Keep things professional. Keep my friend—her fucking father—in my life. Let her have this job since she's a good girl who deserves to work.

That's all this is and all it should be.

She cocks her head to the side and nibbles at her lip again. "Mr. Mil—Sawyer, I mean... Was there anything else you needed?"

Yes. You. Naked. Now.

"Nope," I shake my head quickly and give a tense smile. "Just stopped by to check in and wish you luck. You know where to find me if you need anything."

There. That's it. We're done.

But I'm still not moving. Fuck.

"Hey boss, I've been looking for you."

I jump a little at the voice behind me. It's Tate, my executive assistant—and the last person I want to see right now. He's an asset to the company. He's great at his job, handling all of the serious and confidential matters that come up on a day-to-day basis in the office, while Aileen is the liaison between all the other departments and corporations.

He's also twenty-six years old and objectively handsome by anyone's standards. And as if I needed a reminder of what good looking twenty-six-year-old men think about on a constant basis, he looks over at Mia like she's a piece of fucking candy and flashes a thousand-watt smile that it a little too practiced to be anything but a panty-dropper.

I wonder for a moment if my thoughts are that transparent when it comes to Mia. I hope not, for her sake as well as my own. But I damn sure don't want to give Tate any room to make a move, either.

"Let's get to work, Tate," I say gruffly. "Got that conference call in a few minutes."

"I hear that," he answers. "I have your notes right here." He looks at Mia. "Hey there, I'm Tate. Nice to make your acquaintance. Welcome."

"Thanks, I'm Mia," she says, before blushing charmingly and looking down. It's even hot watching her interact with someone else. Hot and... maddening.

Dammit, I can feel the green-eyed monster rearing its head already. Fortunately, I'm the boss here, and I call the shots.

And this office isn't nearly big enough for three people.

"Come on, Tate." I turn and direct him out of the small space in favor of the boardroom for our conference call. If this little pipsqueak thinks I'm gonna give him free rein with Mia, he's out of his fucking mind.

I might not be able to control what happens outside this office, but if I have to keep my cock under wraps while I'm here, then he does, too.

But the last second, I find myself turning and looking back over my shoulder, unable to stop the words that rise in my throat. "You should be in on this, Mia. Come to the boardroom for this call."

Something in me wants her to see me asserting my authority, making deals and giving orders.

Goddamnit.

I'm so fucking screwed.