04 • Sugar Falls

Charlie was in the doorway with three crates of fruit in his arms, the door opened just enough to where Sera could spot Tessa, her posse, and even Krista gawking at his muscled back.

He's like catnip, she thought.

Once Charlie walked in further and the door flapped shut, she peered up at him. He was already staring at her, his dark blue eyes unmoving from hers.

She swallowed in nervosity, which his eyes noticed immediately. They dipped down to her neck and then back up to her eyes, making her skin turn red with blush.

"Hey, Charlie, I was beginning to wonder when you'd show up," Micah announced.

Charlie finally looked away from Sera, noticing the other presence in the room.

"Sorry," Charlie apologized without a trace of emotion on his face, "a crate got knocked over in the truck. I had to clean it up."

"Oh, well you should have told me, I would've helped."

Charlie didn't say anything to that, looking back to Sera again. She squirmed under his gaze, pressing her lips together before dropping her eyes to one of the kittens on her cardigan. She frowned at the embroidered calico cat looking back at her.

Great. My granny sweater. Why do I always look so ugly when I'm around him?

"Do you two know each other?" Micah asked, looking in between the two.

Sera glanced at Charlie before sheepishly turning to her brother. "We met yesterday when I went to the orchard."

Micah nodded to himself, stopping when a small grin appeared on his face. "Um, Sera, why don't you show Charlie where to put the produce?" He suggested.

"But don't you normally do that—?"

"Oops! I forgot something in the car!" Micah said suddenly, heading towards the door. Sera wasn't blind to the mischievous wink he sent her over his shoulder. He was up to something for sure.

The effects of Micah's absence were immediate. The energy in the room felt awkward, especially with Charlie's penetrating gaze on Sera.

"Uh, um, follow me," Sera muttered uncomfortably, not sure whether to meet the man's eyes or not.

She led him towards the back corner of the kitchen where the large fridge and storage room were located.

"You can just set everything there," Sera said, pointing to the stretch of counter next to the fridge.

He did as he was told, then turned to look at her expectantly.

"Oh, um, I've got it from here. You're all good to go," she told him, avoiding his stare. She began to sift through the crates and pick out what needed to go into the storage room.

"Tell me how I can help," Charlie said.

"Oh, really, you don't have to help, you've helped enough in the past twenty-four hours alone."

"I want to help," he clarified.

Sera met his determined eyes before deciding to relent, telling him what produce he could put in the fridge.