Goblet of Fire Hedric Alternate Ending

"Together" Harry said and Cedric nodded in agreement, with a small grin. They reached towards the cup, but instead of them both grasping the handles, the cup repelled Cedric, throwing him back on the ground. There was a bright flash and then the cup was gone. Along with Harry. "Harry? Harry!" Cedric called out, pulling himself up. Think Cedric, think he thought to himself the cup was obviously a portkey. It must've taken him to the others. Or maybe there was another challenge for the winner that the headmasters didn't tell us about. But aren't there rules against portkeys at Hogwarts? He ran a hand through his hair nervously. Don't panic just yet. It's probably nothing to worry about. But even then, Cedric decided to send up red sparks in the air. 

In the couple of minutes it took for help to arrive, he thought up hundreds of different scenarios that didn't put his mind at ease. Like what if Harry gets even more hurt if it's another challenge? His leg is already hurt pretty badly. Harry saved me from Krum, he shouldn't have to do another task, especially one he's not prepared for. Finally, Professor McGonagall arrived on a broom. "What seems to be the problem Mr. Diggory?" She asked in a calm manner. "I was hoping you could tell me that. One second Harry and I were reaching for the cup and the next I was thrown back and Harry was gone. The cup was a portkey, Professor. Is there another part of the task we didn't know about?" He asked, trying to keep his tone even, despite the worry he felt for the younger competitor. 

The professor's eyes widened but she quickly regained composure. "We need to inform the headmaster about this. Come on Mr. Diggory." She said and Cedric felt his concern grow. He got on the broom as told but couldn't hold back his questions. "Are you saying that this wasn't supposed to happen, Professor?" He asked, hating the way she sighed. "I'm afraid so." She said quietly. Cedric felt his heart drop and an uneasy feeling churn in his stomach. 

Eventually they made it back to the quidditch pitch where they began the task. They landed and Cedric took in the scene. Fluer and Krum were already there, being taken care of by Madam Pomfrey. Cedric almost wanted to go over to Krum and give him a piece of his mind but he refrained, knowing the maze must've done something to make him use the cruciatus curse on him. He'd talked to Viktor before and he wasn't a bad guy at all. He was very friendly and a good sport. Professor McGonagall had already walked over to the headmaster whispering in his ear. Cedric looked in the stands and saw his friends giving him supportive smiles but he could see the disappointment from his fellow Hufflepuffs. 

His eyes trailed over to the Gryffindors who were all grinning and talking, obviously excited about the idea of Harry winning. But then he caught the eye of Harry's friends, the Weasley and the brunette girl. He felt partially guilty that he hadn't learned their names. But what was surprising is that they weren't smiling like the others around them, they were talking with furrowed eyebrows and looks of concern. They obviously knew something was wrong. 

Before Cedric could continue thinking, his father came in front of him, wrapping him in a bone crushing hug. "My boy, I'm so glad you're alright! It's okay you didn't win I'm sure you tried your best. We should get you to the nurse." He rambled quickly while Cedric stood there stunned. He hadn't really thought about what his father would think about him losing but this was not it. He'd thought that he'd maybe be disappointed or even angry but that didn't seem close. He hugged his dad back, relieved. He pulled back to the reluctance of his father. "I'm fine, dad. I don't need to see Madam Pomfrey. I need to go talk to the headmaster." He looked over to where the headmaster was and he was already coming his way. 

"Cedric, I need you to tell me everything that happened in that maze tonight." Cedric proceeded to tell Dumbledore about everything from Krum using an unforgivable on him to the Sphinx to them agreeing on taking the cup together and it being a portkey. His father had tried to interrupt when he mentioned the cruciatus curse but Cedric then explained it was only for a few seconds because Harry came to his rescue. After he'd finished his summary of the events, Madam Pomfrey gave him a potion that made the side effects from the cruciatus curse go away.