35

p o p p y

The people at school had known about my relationship for two months now, yet there were still a few stares whenever I walked through the halls to my next class.

It was nice knowing that Blake was always there to make me feel comfortable, especially when people first found out. I wasn't fond of the dirty looks I was getting; I don't think anyone would be if they were in my position.

Summer still hadn't stopped with her quest to get Blake to date her, even with his countless attempts to remind her that he was perfectly happy with the relationship he was in.

My mom wasn't too pleased when learned of my relationship. After all, she was kind of the reason I promised myself I wouldn't engage in anything distracting during my senior year.

But it was inevitable that she found out.

With how much time I spent with Blake, it was only a matter of time before she started to question who was always picking me up to go out. It at least made her more comfortable knowing that it was Blake, someone whose mom she knew, and not some random guy.

What surprised me was that Blake's mom was still clueless about everything. I knew that Blake didn't talk to his mom about many things, but I was genuinely just amazed that Blake managed to keep it secret.

It didn't bother me much that she didn't know because I knew she wasn't going to be happy. I think she made it perfectly clear to me since we first spoke that she didn't like me.

"Flower, what are you thinking about?" Blake put his hand on my thigh as he drove us to our date somewhere. He said it was a secret.

"That on Monday, we'll have been together three months already," I smiled at him. "It's like I asked you out yesterday."

"Hey," he chuckled. "Asking each other out was a both of us thing. Don't take all the credit."

I laughed along with him. "Fine, fine. It was a team effort, I guess."

"Look, we're here," Blake parked the car in an open spot.

"We're looking at cacti?" I read the sign, getting out of the car. "Well, I can definitely say I've never done this before. It's very unique."

He took my hand, dragging me along. "It was the next best thing. I tried looking for somewhere with hydrangeas, but apparently people don't really do that. So cacti it is."

I covered my mouth, trying to hide my laughter. "Fin, this is so cute. And the hydrangeas you got me were enough. You don't have to bring me to a garden full of them."

"Stop laughing," he glared at me playfully. "I really tried."

"You did," I nodded, smiling. "Come on, don't worry. We're going to have a lot of fun."

Blake had his arm around me the whole time we walked around. It wasn't hard to make things fun with him. All I had to do was remember who I was with and I was happy.

We found a bench and took a seat, enjoying all the green in front of us.

"Fin?"

"Yeah?" he turned to me, listening intently.

"What would things have been like if we weren't put in that weekend thing together?" I wondered. "Would we still have ended up together, you think?"

He thought for a bit before deciding, "I think so. I probably would've gathered up the courage to ask you out. I've liked you for a while now anyway. Or who knows, maybe you'd ask me out when you get drunk at a party. Why'd you ask?"