•three•

I drove into town and then just around aimlessly for a while, before deciding to go into a few shops, not to buy anything, just to gaze longingly at things I want but can't afford and also so that I am doing something.

I picked a store and parked, I went in and walked around, I spent a pretty long time looking around, there were a few pretty dresses and some nice skirts.

At one point heatwaves started playing over the store's speakers and I recorded a TikTok about it, Karl had told me enough about that joke that I understood it, I also read the fic later on.

I then noticed that I had like a crap load of older notifications. It looked like every friend I had in my contacts, a few from Josh, and then one from Wilbur.

I left the store and before I turned the car on I pulled my phone out and looked at the first notification.

It was from Sophie, it was a picture with the message, I ran into Josh at the bar and thought you should see this... the image was of someone who looked like Josh and who looked like Emma, they were kissing and they both had drinks in their hand, the image was taken from a bad angle and had bad lighting.

Maybe that's why I convinced myself it wasn't Josh and just some stranger that my friends mistook for Josh.

I looked through the other messages from my friends, they were mostly similar messages about the picture of Josh, and I told myself it was all a misunderstanding. I then went to the texts from Josh and read them.

Hey baby, some of your friends are saying they saw me at the bar last night, but I was at home all night last night so that definitely wasn't me, they are lying to you and honestly I don't think they are very good friends, I would never cheat on you, that's ridiculous.

I let out a sigh of relief, he was right, that is ridiculous, he wouldn't even think of cheating, he loves me.

I sent him back a few texts telling him I believed him and loved him. I texted all my friends telling them it's not good to start drama and that they were definitely mistaken about that being Josh.

The last message I checked was Wilbur, his was a discord message, it just said goodnight, but also asked if I wanted to play geoguessr together with him some time soon. I agreed because Wilbur and I had clicked pretty well, I already felt like we'd be friends.

My mood had been dropped by the scare I had with Josh, even though it was just a misunderstanding and was crazy to believe.

I still wanted to be out though and just tried to forget about it. I went to Starbucks and got a coffee, and I sat at a table scrolling through my phone while I drank it. I always loved coffee shops, they just have good vibes.

I went to a few more places around town before the sun started to set and I called Josh.

"Hey babe." He answered when he picked up the phone.

"Hey, I was wondering if I could come over? Maybe stay the night?" I asked.

"Yeah sure, I'm just watching tv, so feel free, see you soon, love you." He said.

"Love you too, be there in a sec." I ended the call and continued driving towards his house.

I just walked in when I got there since I had already warned him I'd be showing up.

He was sitting on the couch watching tv, I walked over to him and took off my shoes before crawling into his arms, he repositioned a bit so he could hold me more comfortably and we both watched the show.

"I have work tomorrow afternoon, I'm pretty booked up the rest of this week too, so I'm glad I got a chance to stay over." I said, breaking the silence.

"I'm glad you get to come over too," he said, not contributing much, but at least he answered.

After a while I was pretty tired and started to doze off so we went into his room and he let me fall asleep. His arm around my waist.

He was still on his phone but I was content as I drifted off.

When I woke up, it was still dark out, but Josh wasn't in bed, I checked the clock and it was 2 am. I had no idea where he could be so I got up and walked out into the kitchen to see if he was in there, he wasn't and I realized his car was gone.

I brushed it off though, no point in worrying, he probably just went someone really fast, the store or something, I got back in bed and tried to sleep, although I had little success, tossing and turning until around 6 am when the door creaked open and Josh crawled into bed.

I thought nothing of it and just laid there for a few hours, he had fallen asleep again and around 9 I decided to get up and make us breakfast.

I put on some coffee and made some bacon, eggs, and toast. When everything was finished, I plated it and brought it into the bedroom, putting on the nightstand for when he woke up. I had my makeup in my car so I went out and got it, I got myself all pretty and then sat in the kitchen for a bit, I figured he'd wake up pretty soon.

After about an hour I walked in there and he was waking up.

"I made you breakfast, you slept longer than I expected though." I chuckled nervously. He took a bite of it and then frowned.

"It's fucking cold, Jesus you can't do anything right can you?" I nodded and walked out of the room, trying not to cry.

Jesus Christ, why are you so sensitive, he was right, there is no reason to cry. I said over and over in my head. I decided to go home before work, so I said goodbye coldly before getting in my car and heading home.

When I pulled in, I made sure to stay pretty quiet in case Karl was still sleeping.

I went into my room and busied myself by cleaning up a little bit.

Time passed pretty quickly and eventually it was time for me to go to work. I was pretty sure I was working the bar today.

The drive to work is only about fifteen minutes so I just listened to some music.

When I got there, today was slow, which made sense for a weekday. I was mostly working the bar so just making a few drinks here and there, not too many people, I'd probably get a few more later in the evening though.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and since I was just sort of sitting around, I checked it. It was Josh, apologizing for snapping at me this morning, I sighed. How long could I deal with this game, going around in circles.

I didn't even answer him, I just put my phone back in my pocket as a man walked up to the bar. It was only seven so most of our business was here to eat dinner. I turned to the man.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I asked in my customer service voice.

"Umm can I just get an old fashioned?" He asked and I nodded.

"Sure thing!" I started making the drink.

"You sure are quite a lovely young lady." He propositioned.

"Thank you sir, but I'm taken." I said giving him a polite smile.

"He doesn't have to know, when does your shift end?" He said giving me a grin.

"I'm sorry, but I have no interest in cheating on my boyfriend, here's your drink, enjoy your evening." I said sliding his drink to him and leaving behind the bar to go find Caleb.

I found him in the back, picking up an order.

"Hey Caleb, there's a weird guy at the bar, if you could walk to my car later, in case he waits for me that'd be great, I can deal with him for now." I said, Caleb was probably the coworker I was closest to.

"Sure thing Kat, just let me know when you leave later." He smiled at me and we both turned to get back to work.

I got back behind the bar and the man was still sitting there.

"There you are, don't be such a prude, it's just a little bit of fun." He continued.

"Sir, I really am sorry, but I said no, I'm not interested." I said wiping down the bar, trying not to pay him much mind.

The guy continued for what had to be half an hour before some more people finally sat at the bar and I was able to turn my attention to serving them.