CHAPTER SEVEN

The lunch bell rang, sending a hoard of ravenous beasts (AKA my classmates) running through the narrow corridors, trampling each other in the process.

I was zipping around the throng of people, thrusting the flyers Zach and I had made into their hands. Most of them looked perplexed, but almost none of them threw the sheet of paper away, which was a good sign.

I saw Peter advertising Wilderness Fest in the distance.

"WILDERNESS FEST, THE BEST PLACE TO ENJOY NATURE WHILE ACTUALLY HAVING FUN!" He hollered. "WHITE WATER RAFTING, ZIPLINING, TREE TOP NINJA COURSE, HIKING, MOUNTAIN BIKING, ROCK CLIMBING, AND MORE!"

He bellowed, his deep voice reverberating through the halls.

I saw Zach's eyes shimmering in pride as we marveled at our work. Kids were chattering about the event, phoning their parents, even volunteering to help hang posters and promulgate. I got countless questions from students about the festival, which I answered enthusiastically. But of course, being Zachary Tillis, he wasn't done.

Apparently, he'd explained our situation and his plan to a counselor who had expressed her assent and agreed to announce the date and point of the festival over the intercom!

I was summoned to the main office to deliver my commercial to the entirety of the school. Jacklyn and Trisha continued to manually pass out flyers, and now just about every single student possessed one, if not more.

"Wilderness Fest is a celebration of Mother Nature, taking place at my dad's wilderness reserve, Falcon at 11342 Waterfall Avenue. Please join us on 5/14/21, I repeat 5/14/21 at 10: AM- 12 AM for the ultimate adventure, including a wide variety of outdoor activities, such as rafting, hiking, biking, rock climbing, ziplining, and much more!" I spoke loudly and assertively so that the entire school knew that my father had arranged something beautiful, that wouldn't last if they didn't participate.

The counselor nodded at me in approval, I beamed at Zach. I made sure the mic was still on when I told Zachary thank you. "You're the best friend in the world," I said, ruffling his ginger hair. "Come to Wilderness Fest!" he urged over the intercom once more before signing off. Something told me the plan was a success.

That afternoon, I didn't even mind the turbulent bus ride up the hill. In a way, I found the lurching and jouncing sort of endearing. It reminded me of my dad and his intrepid personality, and the way he chose to be different because that was what he knew would make him happy in life. Me and the forest he called home.

When I got to the lodge, I raced up the stairs to my dad's office, yearning to tell him about the day. "Hey kiddo," he greeted me by tousling my hair.

"Stop it dad," I chirped indignantly, but in a playful way. He chuckled.

"Dad, be ready for a lot of people at Wilderness Fest," he raised his eyebrow, confused.

"Luanne, you know how it's going, this might be our last festival," his face fell, it looked like he was willing himself not to cry. It stung to see him this way. For the first time in my life, he didn't look like the one-of-a-kind, heroic, quirky, unique, dauntless person I knew. He looked vulnerable, emotional, and doleful. After all, he did think he was about to lose what he gave up his marriage with my mother for.

"Daddy," I tugged at his sleeve. "I'm so sorry Lu, I tore our lives apart for no reason," he said in a shaky, thin voice. "Dad, no you didn't. Zachary and I, we saved Falcon. We told all the kids at school, got it published in the paper, even the teachers guaranteed they'd be there," I told him. My father simply gaped at me, astonished. "You didn't have to do that Luanne," he embraced me tightly and pressed his lips against my forehead. Tears were welling up in both of our eyes. "I never knew I had such an amazing daughter," he sniffed, his face red and splotchy from his sobbing. He sighed in relief. "Give this to Zachary," he told me, pulling a crumpled fifty dollar  bill out of his jean pocket.

"But Dad, what if it didn't work?", I asked. He smiled at me. "So what if it didn't? You can't just disregard the work that kid put in for you. He's a good friend," I begrudgingly took the bill from his hand and flattened it out onto my palm. "I think we won't disappoint you, " I assured my father. He pulled me in for one last hug before I raced off to start my homework and phone my friends from New York. They deserved to know that this year they most likely would not be celebrating my birthday with me at Falcon.