Teaser Chapter (OUTDATED)

FULL DISCLAIMER
This story, if revived, will likely be rebooted as significant changes have been applied to the story and the main character. I've decided to release this teaser because, even though it's outdated, it's still a fun read to me :) enjoy!

-- notzRoyalty (18th Jan 2023)

❌ Coarse language

"That's just how it works, darling."

I was in complete disbelief. I couldn't have imagined what they went through if what Froth said was true. Was this really my fate now? To be here forced between concrete walls for an awful and wasteful reason? These canines were rotting away, I could see it in them - their attitude, their body language, their health, everything.

"Don't be so lost Fire, it's the same schedule everyday. Hell, be thankful you arrived here on a Saturday."

I looked up at Froth, confused and maybe a little stunned. "What do you mean I should be thankful for arriving on a Saturday?"

"Battleground Friday, Fire." Another canine stood up from my left. I could only assume she was a wolf, or some form of large dog. Her fur was almost completely black-tinted-blue, with 2 singular golden patches of fur - one that tipped her right ear and another engulfing her front left leg. Lemon yellow eyes complimented her fur colour.

I have seen so described 'golden' fur on animal's before, and they tend to look more orange. But this wolf had actual golden fur. I'll be honest, I was a little jealous - it looked really pretty on her. But her personality so far didn't really fit her all that well.

I looked up at her. "Battleground... Friday?"

"Why so confused? Where do you think we get our scars and wounds from? Battleground Friday is a term that scares even the bravest of canines in this facility." Her voice had an intimidating tone, with expressive body language to accompany it.

She paused for a moment, staring into my eyes. "Every Friday at exactly 10PM, our pod of wolves - pod 10 - is brought out into the main arena. You want to guess what we do in that arena?"

I was way too intent on what the wolf was saying that her expecting an answer from me caught be off guard slightly, but I managed to gather myself to answer her.

"We fight?"

"Bingo, Rudolph." Oh, by the way, I have a red nose. There was a moment of silence for me to take in that. Fights? I can't fight! I've never won a fight in my life. I've never...fought in my life.

"The name's Marune, a North- Eastern 'blackwolf,' or so I'm called. They haven't figured me out yet." She walked back to her original spot, only facing me this time. "Now it's your turn - introduce yourself besides your name."

She was right. I was being rude, I need to introduce myself.

"My name's Fire, and I'm a..."

Then the dark realisation rained over me. What was I? I had no idea. Was I a wolf? A coyote? A fox? Something else??

"A...?" A dog laying next to Marune was waiting for my answer.

"I... I don't know what I am."

Froth jumped down from her couch and circled me, her face reading confusion just like mine.

"You don't have to circle her to know if she's an albino, dipshit." Marune howled to Froth. "You're blind, but not that blind."

Froth spoke up. "Well, you're albino-"

"No shit!" Marune called out. "What gave you that idea?"

Froth spun around. "Marune for 5 seconds watch your damn language!"

Marune rolled her eyes. "Teh."

Froth ignored Marune. "I don't know either, Fire. You're awfully small for a wolf, but you're not a coyote nor a fox"

"Your guess is as good as mine Froth."

The wolf laying next to Marune stood up and stretched. Listen: I wasn't too keen on getting anyone pissed at me in here. But that canine was tall with a captial T. I couldn't figure out what she was. She had the fur of a fox but was nowhere near the size of it.

"Well you must be in here for some reason." I was a bit taken back by the tall animal's speaking. She was incredibly tall and lean but she had an incredibly soft, high pitched voice. She seemed like a shy follower type, only she wasn't. She seemed more extroverted.

"Perhaps her albinism."

I stopped them both. "Wait wait wait. What do you mean by I must be in here for some reason? What are you guys in here for?"

"Well we all have something about us that makes us different from other canines. Observe: Do you know what kind of wolf Marune is?"

I shook my head. "Exactly, Fire. We don't know. They don't know. Not even Marune knows. She's here because of her unique DNA - a key lead to a new species."

Froth parted in. "I'm in here for the same reason, only bonus - I'm blind."

The tall fox-pelted canine parted back. "You see? We're in here because of genetic or unique mutations. I have heterochromia."

I was still processing all of this information. "Is there other wolves?"

"Who the fuck do you think we fight? Of course there are other wolves." She sighed, relieving the tension in her speech. "In each facility there are a total of 10 pods with 4 wolves in each, which makes a total of 40 wolves in this facility."

The tall canine butted in. "50 wolves you count the highly trained security staff."

Froth bitten in as well. "Well Floral is technically not a canine, she's a maned wo-"

"Froth shut the fuck up I don't care if she isn't a canine; she's close enough."

Floral, that's her name I thought to myself.

"Relax, Marune." I stood up for Froth. Marune looked me in the eyes dangerously. "Froth is just making a point." Marune just rolled her eyes. She knew I was right.

If I'm going to make it through this place, I'm going to have to learn to get along with these predators one way or another. I will get to the bottom of this.

- END OF TEASER CHAPTER -
Estimated production beginning date: late 2022 - Early-Mid 2023

Teaser published 1-10-2021.11:43PM
Last Updated/edited 11-12-2021.9.42AM