Hell Hath No Mercy

hell hath no mercy / jean kirstein
AOT S02 - 04    @SUNLEERS

❝SHAKING THE WINGS OF THEIR TERRIBLE YOUTHS / FRESHLY DISSOLVED IN SOME FROZEN DEVOTION / NO MORE ALONE OR MYSELF COULD I BE / LURCHED LIKE A STRAY TO THE ARMS THAT WERE OPEN / NO SHORTAGE OF SORDID, NO PROTEST FROM ME

SHAKING THE WINGS OF THEIR TERRIBLE YOUTHS / FRESHLY DISSOLVED IN SOME FROZEN DEVOTION / NO MORE ALONE OR MYSELF COULD I BE / LURCHED LIKE A STRAY TO THE ARMS THAT WERE OPEN / NO SHORTAGE OF SORDID, NO PROTEST FROM ME.
                                     ━━━  Hozier
                                     'Angel Of Small Death And
                                    The Codeine Scene'

. . .

MICAH ISHIDA was not a murderer. A boy such as himself wasn't capable of dirtying his hands pushing around children his age let alone killing a man twice his size. And yet he had held the knife that struck the final blow. His hands were the ones covered in blood. His feet where the bodies lie, pale in the face, choking, still, lifeless. A deed he didn't remember committing. Just the shackles being chained to his limbs and the fingers pointing the blame.

            PUNISHMENT FOR killing officers of the Military Police weren't sentenced lightly. They were strict and swift in snapping the gavel against the wooden stand, announcing to all listening that death was too kind. He was a boy of eleven and death was too kind. Where was death a blessing when food was a luxury and healed skin and bone was rare. Where the taste of iron was a comfort and the light of day a warning symbol. A lifetime at eleven was an eternity at sixteen. Torturous all the same. And never ending all the more.

            FIVE YEARS locked in a cell with only the man on the other side of the wall to keep him company was enough to drive even the most strong-minded of characters to the brink of insanity. Micah was still a child. A child convicted of homicide, yes, but a child nonetheless. One was not meant to grasp at the fraying pieces of their mind before hitting puberty. To take a beating for the slop they called food. To cry at the feel of the suns light hitting his face instead of rejoicing at the lack of darkness. There wasn't much holding him together. He was pulling apart at the seams.

            ERWIN SMITH saw the potential where others saw criminal. He'd watched it manifest in Humanity's Strongest Soldier, and he was prepared to watch it again in Eugene Castillon ━━━ a man infamous for his dangerous reputation as the "Red Saint". A human being capable of purging the inner walls of its corruption was someone the Commander needed on his side of the war.

            BUT THE man would not take his pardon in peace. He'd argue day and night if it meant his freedom became Micahs as well. Otherwise, he would rot in his cell on the other side of the wall until his life sentence expired and the MP officers grew tired of throwing their fists and cracking their whips of hard leather. Eugene didn't care for Erwin Smith's plans or why he wanted him to be a part of them. So long as he had room for negotiations Eugene would make the most out of his situation. That included doing whatever he had to to convince the Survey Corps Commander to write him up a get-out-of-jail-free card for two. Truthfully, he didn't understand the proper logistics of the whole thing, but he figured someone like Erwin Smith knew how to pull the very strings he was referring to.