Learning to Fly

Learning to Fly

The skyline was adorned with red and orange pastels as the sun began to sink below the horizon. The air was crisp, and a cool breeze chased away the last of the warmth as it gently ruffled the fur of a proud looking, two tailed fox.

The vulpine closed his eyes and drew in the familiar sounds and scents of the airstrip. His chest fur expanded and contracted with every breath and his fingers eagerly wiggled against the leather of his gauntlet gloves.

The faint purr of an airborne motor caused a pleased smile to cross his muzzle. The anticipation of floating on a cloud filled him with a twinge of excitement that shot down his spine like lightning. When his eyes opened up once more, he was greeted by the sight of various hangars and the long black tarmac that beckoned him beyond the chain-link fence that stood before him.

Without a thought in the world, Tails' eyes slowly raised to the heavens above. The salmon-colored horizon formed a peaceful gradient and the warmth gave way to a cool indigo that had begun to stretch across the sky. The fresh, glistening stars bathed him in soft light and they seemingly stared at him fondly.

It was a perfect night to fly.

The fox had always felt a certain kinship with the atmosphere above mobius. It was a sacred place, a secret resort that only a few ever dared to explore.

Finally, the fox stepped forward and his brown leather boots clacked against the concrete. As he strolled, his eyes returned to the awaiting tarmac and he could envision a biplane barreling down the runway with a lone blue hedgehog standing defiantly on the left wing. Oh how he missed those days.

"Good evening, Miles," a gray cat spoke from the guard post. His crooked whiskers and wrinkly smile betrayed his age, while his cleanly pressed white uniform displayed his experience. "Here to enjoy an evening flight?"

Tails grinned warmly and tipped a non-existent cap in the feline's direction. "How're you doing, Jack? Anybody give you any trouble today?"

The cat's hearty chuckle rang out like an old vinyl record and he slowly readjusted his glasses. "Well now that depends," Jack said slowly and leaned forward to peer over his spectacles. "Is a young fellah like yourself gonna give me any headaches?"

Tails leaned back and crossed his arms, "I might have a trick or two tucked in my scarf."

With another snort of laughter, the old cat rubbed his belly and shook his head. "After all these years, I've yet to see one of your so-called tricks, young man. So, just flying on your own tonight?"

"I'm afraid so," the vulpine admitted, though his smile never dimmed. "Mina's out with one of her girlfriends," Tails explained and produced his ID from his belt and slid it over to Jack.

"And the youngins?" The cat asked as he glanced over the photo and began clicking away at his computer keyboard.

"Sally's watching the kids for the weekend. So it's just me."

"I see," the feline nodded slowly. His jaw lazily hung open as he punched in the last of the necessary information. "Well Mister Prower," Jack said with a renewed smile as he turned and slid the card back to the fox, "it appears that you are cleared for take-off."

Tails gently tapped the counter twice and wished the elderly cat goodnight before he proceeded through the opened gate.

Various tones of whirring power tools echoed from nearby hangars in untimely unison. The familiar sounds were nothing short of a sweet melody to the fox and he was eager to join into the uncanny harmony. Tails lightly waved to passersby and to the other mechanics and pilots as he strolled onward. His heart began thumping anew when his own hangar came into view and he could almost hear his plane calling out his name.