Chapter-12 Pulling the Plug

This one is a little longer, but is only in Rhetta's pov. Lots of love to you my readers. Please comment!

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Chapter 12

Two months later in Geneva…

“Sweetheart, you have to go home and take a shower and get some rest,” Dad said to me for the millionth time today.

“I know,” I conceded to his demands. Leaning over the rail of the hospital bed I kissed Alessandro’s stubble covered cheek. I would have to remember to give him a shave tomorrow.

As we were walking out to my car Dad grabs my arm stopping me.

“We have to talk honey. The doctors said he may never wake up. Pam and Blaine will be back in less than a week. I think you should take this week to begin distancing yourself from him. You have to move forward at some point with your life,” Dad lectured me. Feeling numb at his words, I nod knowing I will never move forward. Without actually answering Dad I unlock my car and drive home. On my commute, I think back to how much the past two months has changed everything. Brian shot Alessandro in the chest rendering him in a coma, Brain was arrested for attempted murder and forcible kidnapping for removing me from my apartment, and I have recently moved into my own place. Well, dad is paying for it since I spend all of my time at the hospital with Alessandro and cannot function well enough to work.

The fear I had harbored for so long with Brian is no longer part of my life. I fear nothing or anyone except for losing Alessandro. Only numbness and sometimes heartache plagues me as I deal with the man I fell in love with being, as some cruel people have labeled him a vegetable and it’s my entire fault. If I had never left Brain, Alessandro would be happy and healthy right now. I single handedly have taken away his future; marrying a woman, having children, and grandchildren, growing old with his wife. Dad says I need to move on, but I will never even attempt to be so cold-hearted as to move on to the things I have taken away from Alessandro. Meeting Alessandro’s parents I found out that his first name means defender of mankind and his last name means ax man (google.com). He fit that legacy to a tee. He was strong, protective, and a fireman defending mankind literally with an ax. After showering and trying to fall asleep for hours I dressed and made my way back to the hospital.

Entering the room that I know so well, 1017, I was not surprised at the sight that met my eyes. Alessandro hooked up to machines that had that staccato, infernal beeping. No matter how bad the noises got on my nerves I remind myself that it is what is keeping him alive. Walking over to my designated chair at his bedside I grab his hand stroking it gently.

“Hey handsome, how’s my favorite man today?” I ask knowing I will get the same silence as the past two months. Tears began streaking down my face as I lay my head down on the edge of his bed as I still hold onto his hand for dear life. Finally, sleep claimed me for a short time and then I was awoke once again to face my nightmare. It always seems to be this way. Dad forces me to leave every other day to make me shower and “rest” of which I manage to shower but sleep never finds me until I am sitting next to him where I can hear his even breath and heart beat. Only then do I manage to get a couple of hours of sleep. His parents are supposed to be back here today. The doctor mentioned that they would have to discuss whether or not to pull the plug on his life. How could parents decide to kill their own flesh and blood? They will have to drag me out of here kicking and screaming before I let them finish what Brian started.

The sound of the room door opening brought me out of my thoughts as I notice Alessandro’s parents come in.

“Hey darling, how are you doing?” Pam, his mother asked with unshed tears in her eyes. She is every bit as heartbroken as I am only she doesn't have the guilt knawing at her for this being her fault like I do.

“We are okay,” I tell her answering for Alessandro too. His father usually stays completely quiet with a devastated look on his face. At least he does not throw me out of the room. Although, I would understand if he did; I took his only son away from him. Alessandro has a sister named Carolita of which I learned in the many hours his mother and I have spent here. Carolita is currently serving in Afganistan with the Air Force, which is why she has not been here with Alessandro. Blaine, Alessandro’s father, approaches the bed beside me.

“Could I speak with you outside?” he asked. Oh God no, he is kicking me out.

“I won’t leave him!” I said loudly. Pam lays a hand on my shoulder.

“He just wants to talk sweetheart then you can come back,” Pam said and I trust her so I nod and follow Blaine to the parking lot of the hospital.

“What is it? I need to be there in case he wakes up,” I said looking back at the hospital entrance.

“We both know that that is not likely. I am not a man of many words of which you probably have noticed. We have to make a decision soon. We are forcing every breath he takes. We don’t know if he is suffering this whole time or if he is just sleeping. Pam and I have made a decision,” he said carefully. I was literally shifting my feet in anticipation. Please Lord don’t let them take him from me.

“And,” I encouraged him to just spit it out.

“We have paid his stay for the next three weeks and as of 12a.m. February 17 the doctors will unplug the machines and see what happens,” he said instantaneously my legs gave way and I fell to my knees and sobbed as Blaine kneeled in front of me holding me his own tears staining my shirt. After a very long time my sobbing stopped and Blaine helped me to my feet and walked me back into the sterile hospital room where the man I love will spend his last moments of being alive. After a few hours Pam and Blaine left to their hotel to shower and get some rest. Leaving the room, I walked down to the nurses’ station and asked them for a small tub to fill with water to wash Alessandro’s hair. Already knowing what I was coming for the tall, blonde nurse named Casey handed me the tub. I nodded my thanks still not trusting my voice to be even enough to talk. Filling the tub with warm water and gathering the shampoo and wash cloth I make my way over to Alessandro. He looks so peaceful in his sleep and so beautiful. From the moment he kissed me in that market parking lot he has had a piece of me I didn’t even know I could give away.

Stroking his face, I move his pillow away and began washing his hair. Once I had finished with that I began shaving his face. The whole time I am carrying on a one-sided conversation with him. Some people would call me crazy talking to a man who cannot talk back and may not even hear anything I say. Once I had finished his grooming I step back to look at my handy work.

“Just as handsome as ever,” I said to him with a sad smile. As I turned to clean out the tub and put everything away I heard it.

“Thanks,” he whispered raspily.