Introduction

Gentle reader,

Before you lies the result of many decades of travel. Like many of my sisters in the order of the Eternal Sign, I have devoted my life to the collection of knowledge. But where some of my sisters chose to focus on the study of plants or the movements of the stars, I chose instead to focus on us, the inhabitants of this world. During my life I have visited every corner of Argoll, and spoken with many of the locals. All the information I gathered during my travels has been assembled in this book.

Some might wonder, why write this book at all? Are the contents of this book not easily obtained through talking to some traders or adventurers in the marketplace? I would give three reasons to justify its existence. The first one is that what one hears from most travellers is rarely accurate. Without wishing to impugn their honour, adventurers, traders and pilgrims are all prone to telling tall tales, not to mention uninterested in giving an unbiased account. While I am as fallible as any other and cannot claim everything in this book will be entirely correct, I have done my best to verify what I was told, to see things for myself and to write them down without letting my own emotions influence my writing unduly. This should hopefully elevate this work above common tavern gossip.

My second reason lies in the future. As we in the order of the Eternal Sigil well know, information is easily lost to time. Much of what we know of the past is fragmentary. Records are destroyed and people forget. Through writing this book, and distributing it widely, I hope to provide a record of our time for those who come after us.

The final justification for my work lies in the current state of Argoll. When the first monsters awoke on this planet, they were simply trying to survive in their new home, fumbling around in the unknown much like children would. But that is no longer the case. The monsters have built atop the ruins of the old world, creating new futures for themselves amidst the rubble. Petty gods have noticed how little the goddess that rules this world involves herself with its day-to-day existence, and set themselves up as the deities of the new societies that are taking shape. Towns and even cities dot the once empty lands, and monsters travel throughout, whether in search of coin, knowledge or glory. Friendships are forged, art is made and goods are traded. Naturally, in this increasingly connected world, accurate information about our neighbours is vital. This book is therefore my humble attempt to assist in the creation of a brighter future for this planet.

But enough musing on my reasons for writing this work. I now invite you, gentle reader, to follow me on my travels. It will be a long journey indeed, but hopefully an interesting one.

Signed: Asrael, Grand-Lector of the order of the Eternal Sign, third day of the ninth month in the year 515.

A note: Although various timescales are employed by the peoples of Argoll, our order has found it useful to employ a standardised dating method in our works. This calendar starts counting from the year of the Awakening, when the monsters were put on Argoll by the goddess Echidna. Years before this date are denoted with a minus, years after it are simply given in numbers.