Ten

☠◉☠◉☠◉☠◉☠◉☠◉☠◉

You decided you would wait for Charlie at PAC-Man since he went there a lot. Getting bored of sitting there you started a game yourself. Passing through the levels until you get to stage fifty (50). Then, you started getting tired of Inky (the blue ghost), who was always following you. At that point, Charlie had showed up and was watching you start the level to see Inky try to get you multiple times. Using every strategy you knew, you made your way through the stage until you cleared the board. You knew you weren't going to make it much further, so you let Charlie take a turn at stage fifty-one (51).

He got the hang of it instantly, letting the ghosts be fooled by direction and deception. Getting past fifty-one, and him finally saying he beat you. You put your hand on top of his on the joystick and made it through fifty-two with ease. Not wanting to let Charlie think he beat you, you kept going. Onto the point where he grabbed you from behind in a bear hug and yanked you backwards away from the arcade game.

When he pulled you up, you let go of the joystick with a yelp in fear. He almost dropped you, but kept you in the air with him, laughing loudly. "Betcha weren't expecting that, huh?" He giggles, twirling you slightly, grin getting even wider.

You let out a muffled laugh -- which sounded much more like a scream -- and pat his head as best as you could. "Yea-hahh, Charlie... You really got me!" You stated, clutching tightly to him. "Now, maybe you could let go?"

"And lose such a gorgeous person?" He asked genuinely, all movement beside the rise and fall of his chest stopping. "No, I don't think I will."

"Gorgeous?" You asked quietly, disbelief obvious in your face. Though you couldn't see it, you knew it was there. "No, no, Charlie, you must be thinking of someone else. I'm far from gorgeous." You stated, grin finding your face through the moderate discomfort. He frowned and pulled you closer, arms enveloping your rips like it was the last thing tethering you to this Earth.

"Y/N," he said, voice gentler than you would have expected from a gamer. Behind you, you hear the sound of PAC-Man being caught a third time, and cringed slightly at it. "You are, by far, the most gorgeous person I've ever met. The most responsible and level-headed, too. If we were to ever find another group of survivors, and we felt there was a need for a leader, I would vote for you. Y/N, I trust you with everything I have."

You sighed, feeling the weight of his words way you down just as much as every responsibility you've ever had. You knew that all of this was a cover-up for your true character. Character, of which, you'd prefer no one to see. It had already ruined your entire college life before the apocalyptic world became all you knew. You didn't want it to happen again.

"Y/N, please," Charlie's voice cuts through the static of your brain again. "I'll be with you every step of the way that I can be... Just let me be a bigger part of your life." His smiling face turns blurry, and you stare at him for a moment, reaching out to assure yourself that he was still there.

Such a sweet guy who deserved so much better than what he was looking at. Through the blurriness of your vision, you were able to see his lips pursed, taking your silence as your answer.

"Sorry, Y/N... That was pretty weird and awkward of me, I know." He placed you back on the cracked floor and let go, probably wanting to run away and hide in shame. You would have done the same in his position... If you hadn't made a move.

Right as he was about to turn away, you threw your arms around him, those bottled up tears finally broke through the dam. You tried speaking to him, telling him that you would like nothing more than to have him by your side right now... but all it sounded like was a bunch of incomprehensible wails.

He rubbed your back silently, waiting for you to stop, but not trying to rush you. He understood that you just needed this moment, and was completely willing to give it to you. You couldn't thank him enough for that.

☠◉☠◉☠◉☠◉☠◉☠◉☠◉