Chapter One

As I hurried across the quad, I ducked to avoid a rogue blast of energy, paused so I didn't get hit by the student who'd been sent flying backwards by that other student, and covered my head with my books in some effort to shield me from the localised mini-meteor shower.

If I could manipulate forcefields or become intangible, it would have made my school life easier. As it was, I just had to accept that I might get a little singed, or broken, or bled during the course of the day.

Late didn't even begin to cover what I was just then. While the rest of the school was getting started on weekend shenanigans, I had a date – in the very figurative sense – with the guidance counsellor. And one did not want to be late for that.

I turned to look behind me as I entered the main building, sure someone was there. If there was, they were one of the invisibles. As I turned back to face the way I was going, I ran smack into an open door. Or, rather, a door opened smack into my face.

I heard the laughter and saw Lily Lennon up ahead with a few of her cronies, all smirking in my direction as they headed my way down the corridor. Lily Lennon, AKA Tektonik, telekinetic and apt wielder of doors it seemed. Her and her fellow sycophants heralded the Lord of Heroes with his inner circle, who came along behind the girls like they owned the place. Which wasn't totally wrong; they pretty much did own the place.

My nose stung like a bitch and blood ran hot down my chin, but the satisfaction that Lily's little ploy had gone unnoticed by the one person whose attention she craved above all managed to soften the sharp tears in my eyes.

Vaughn Velazquez went by the supe name of Magnus. As the unofficial leader of the hero students, he was often referred to as Lord Magnus. As far as powers went, he'd won the lottery: speed, strength, flight, invulnerability. As far as personalities went, he was wetter than a damp towel. But, my low opinion of him wasn't going to keep him down. He was the most popular kid in school. The heroes worshipped him. The villains wanted to own him. The plebs wanted...well, they'd have been perfectly happy with just one of his unnecessarily vast number of powers. Barring that, they'd have killed for him to acknowledge their existence.

I would have killed to avoid him acknowledging my existence. And, clearly I hadn't killed anyone recently.

In the blink of an eye, I was hard up against the wall behind me and Vaughn was in my face. His clothes brushed my hands, wedged between us where they were still cradling my books to my chest.

"You're bleeding," he told me, as though I hadn't noticed and he was terribly concerned for my wellbeing.

"It is that time of the month," I retorted, aiming to push past him.

But Vaughn was immovable. Even in the face of menstrual cycles. Kudos to him.

He liked to say it was him embodying the symbol of the immovability of justice. That he was a stoic presence for the less fortunate. That was the PR spiel. In reality, he loved to use it as an intimidation tactic.

Most days, my best friend Nina said that my superpower was stupidity. Stupidity fuelled by an unhealthy amount of stubbornness, with a death wish fanning the flames.

That day was no different.

"Can you terrorise someone else just now, please?" I asked him. "I could have sworn I head Syfon and Mimyk planning to ambush you, I'm sure they'd appreciate a ritual beat down."

"Got somewhere to be?" he asked snidely as though there were no better place to be than up against a wall with him.

I'd heard the stories. It might have been true. I didn't care to find out.