Chapter 19

That foggy haze of leaving medical sedation. The blurry lines as you tried to focus. One blink to register that you needed to wake up, the next that you're not in the same place you fell asleep. Another blink to check your surroundings. Who's here? Where am I? What day is it? Do I have all my limbs?

Information trickled in slowly, memories in their wake. Panic seeped in too, trying desperately to jolt you awake faster than you'd like. The pull of potions in your veins would like you to stay right here, sunken and safe with no worries to plague you, no wands to wield, just stay oblivious in ignorant bliss.

But the mind unfortunately remembered you had some rather pressing questions to answer. Especially if you are Draco and remembered some urgent matters occurring in your life.

Theo. Blaise. Were they all right?

Was it his birthday? It could be his birthday, he'd no idea how long he'd been here. Would there be a box of Jelly Slugs waiting for him?

Was he dead? Had Granger murdered him? The afterlife could really do with better bedding if so.

He could certainly breathe easier now than when he'd blacked out from Robards' multiple curses. He had full control of his limbs once again and a normal, steady heartbeat.

All good signs.

He blinked fully awake and was greeted with the comforting and welcome sight of his mother.

Narcissa sat at his bedside, paler than usual, but composed all the same. Draco rubbed at his throat before trying to speak.

"Is Theo—?"

She pointed down the ward. "Fully recovered."

"How long have I been here?"

"About 36 hours now."

"Where's Granger?"

"I believe briefly checking in with Mr. Potter."

Narcissa stood and approached, smoothing down creases in the hideous hospital bedspread.

"She hasn't left your side otherwise," she said.

"She's going to yell at me."

"I should think so, she seems in quite the mood. She's already fired two of your healers."

"Can she do that?"

"Apparently. You might want to feign sleep a bit longer."

She handed him a glass of water. The next bit of information she imparted inspired an equal measure of dread and intrigue within him.

"I've been chatting with her."

"Oh? About?"

His mother had that secretive smile. The one that meant she'd be keeping any more illuminating information all to herself.

She shrugged. "This and that."

The smile became something akin to a relieved sort of pain. The release of a held-in grief.

"She saved your life," Narcissa said in a hushed voice.

"Only so she could end it herself, I'm sure."

His mother hesitated another moment then bent down and pressed a kiss to the top of his hair before resuming her seat.

"Theodore says you were very brave."

Draco craned his head around and saw the only other bed in the ward occupied by a bandaged Theo. He gave Draco a little wave and a wry smile.

"I'm just relieved they found us in time," Draco said grimly.