INTRODUCTION

"MY FAIR ELISE," Rune spoke, kneeling to his young daughter's height. She smiled up at him, placing a freshly-picked daisy behind his ear. He couldn't help but smile as he ran the back of his hand along her cheek.

"Pretty," Elise said with a proud smile, making Rune laugh.

"Oh, yes. Very much. Thank you, my dove. But, I do need to speak with you."

"Okay, Daddy," she softly said.

Rune sighed, pushing back a stray blonde curl from his daughter's forehead. "I must leave you, but you needn't worry."

"Where?"

"Far away. You'll stay here with your mother. I love you, my darling daughter. You were worth everything I did. Please, don't forget that."

Elise cocked an eyebrow, not understanding what her father was saying. He sighed and kissed her forehead, pulling her in for one last hug.

"Dear, they said it is time to go."

Rune looked up to the calming blue eyes of his wife. Still hugging Elise to his chest, he nodded. "I know, Anneli. Just one more minute."

Anneli knelt down to her their level. For the last time, the family embraced each other. Young Elise was in the middle of the hug, enjoying the feeling of both of her parents' arms around her.

A single tear fell down Rune's face as he held the two loves of his life. The gravity of the moment hit him as two Aesir soldiers approached them.

"Sir, it is time," one spoke, grabbing his shoulder.

Rune nudged his hand off, standing up. "I know. You needn't grab me."

He held his wrists out as a guard linked a heavy pair of handcuffs around his hands. Elise looked up at her father as her mother pulled her close against her.

"Daddy? Are you okay?" she asked innocently.

"I am fine. I love you, Elise."

Rune looked at his daughter one last time, then connected eyes with his wife. She nodded as if to assure all of his fears. Choking back tears, Rune allowed the guards to lead him away. Anneli held in a sob as she guided her daughter back to their new cottage.

Elise held her mother's hand as they walked away, but she turned to watch the guards one more time. She was utterly confused. She had no idea why a group of men with weapons were loading her father into a fenced cart; why parents were so upset and secretive; why her father said he was going far away.

Anneli opened the door to the cottage and breathed in the scent. It was a step down from their previous living situation, but at least it was something.

"We will be just fine," she said, mostly to reassure herself.

Elise giggled as she toddled around the interior of her new home. Her mother smiled at the girl's infectious joy.

At least it was something.

❀ ❀ ❀

clandestine

❀ ❀ ❀

elle fanning as eloise runedottir

tom hiddleston as loki laufeyson

❀  ❀  ❀

" and you know damn well
for you I would ruin myself
a million little times "

- inspired by illicit affairs by taylor swift