|I{•------» [27] «------•}I|

Fear.

It had been a while since she had felt that in her life, ever since she met her teammates.

She raced through the forest with Naruto hot on her heels, heading straight towards the ear-piercing screams she was certain belonged to the pink-haired girl.

Rushing into this, if it turned out to be what she expected, was foolish on so many levels that her grandfather and Kakashi would be disappointed. What she should have been doing was formulating a good strategy, but there was no time, and her logic wouldn't be of any help against the overwhelming wave of fear. Fear of what she would find when she finally reached the clearing and discovered the source of those screams.

"Well, well, if it isn't the old man Sarutobi's precious grandchild. We finally meet face to face."

Ruka tore her gaze away from the large pale snake and looked at the true serpent among them. His black orbs met hers, and she felt something inside her hissing louder than ever, causing the small hairs on the back of her neck to stand up.

He grinned at her, his long, disturbing tongue beckoning her closer in a taunting manner. "So good of you to join us, Princess. I was afraid I'd have to go looking for you. Well, don't keep me waiting. We've staked our lives on this battle of the scrolls, and I'm quite curious to see what someone with a lineage like yours is capable of."

"Ruka!" Sasuke's choked-out exclamation pulled her gaze away from the snake-like male, just enough time to see how frozen even the raven-haired male was in the presence of this snake. "Go! This guy... he's something else. Take Naruto and run!"

Orochimaru tutted in disapproval. "Don't spoil my fun. Not when this little kitten is finally backed into a corner she won't be able to run from."

"Damn it! Let go of me!"

Dark and all-too-knowing eyes swept across Naruto as if he were the most unexpected result of an experiment. "So the Nine-Tails brat is still alive. When your emotions are heightened, its power overflows. How interesting..."

With Naruto securely wrapped in the grasp of his tongue, Orochimaru's hands were free to make all the signs he pleased. As the blond's shirt rode up, the intricate seal on his stomach became visible.

"Naruto!" Ruka exclaimed, lurching forward, but it was in vain. No amount of speed could save her friend when the fingertips coated in purple flame came slamming down on his seal. "Five-pronged seal!"

Naruto choked up at the impact, his chakra disturbed and blocked entirely.

Ruka lunged forward to catch his unconscious body. He was heavier than she anticipated as she landed with him in front of Sakura, who was frozen in place. "Ruka?" the girl prompted as Sarutobi raised himself up to face the snickering serpent. "Would you say that you're strong, Sakura?"

Sakura blinked, fear gnawing away at her as she nervously eyed the serpent. "R-Ruka..."

"Do you think you could carry Naruto?"

"I guess."

"Good." Ruka seemed to nod more to herself than anything else, her eyes never straying from the legendary shinobi. "I need you to take Naruto and get him and yourself as far away from here as possible. Find Shikamaru."

"Come on now, Princess. Don't keep me waiting, or would you rather I turn my attention to Sasuke and let you observe me for a little while longer?"

Her blue eyes flickered back to the legendary ninja, but she made no move to dignify him with a response. She brought up a single hand, fingers twitching as she gauged the breeze around them. Satisfied, her rosy lips parted as she expelled a wave of ashy gunpowder that scattered and surrounded the ninja, creating a thick cloud that shifted and warped with every small movement he made.

Ruka didn't give him a chance to fully comprehend the ash-like substance; she wasted no time raising her already-signing hands to her lips, releasing the blue flaming warmth that ignited them.

The Ash Pile Burning Technique was advanced, she knew that. It was one of the most dangerous techniques to come from her clan, and many Sarutobi members had fallen victim to it.

"You Sarutobi, always so eager to force the will of fire down everyone's throat."

The ninja loomed into view, and she was pleased to see that she wasn't the only one who had been affected by the blast. His deathly pale skin peeled away from several visible spots. "You're smart, putting such force behind your jutsu. You really are your grandfather's granddaughter."

"How interesting," he mused, his dark eyes flickering over the blue chakra-like warmth. "The rumors, they're true."