Chapter 12: Mutations

“Hey! I’m looking for Deku, is he here?” 

Inko looked at the young man suspiciously, “Are you one of his friends?”

The young man smiled and Inko was reminded of All Might, “Yep!”

“Hmm,” She hesitated, “What’s your hero name?”

He put both hands on his hips and struck his chest out, “Le Million! Why?”

Inko gave a tense smile, “Most of Izuku’s friends are pro heroes. Someone his own age...let’s just say kids have pretended to be his friends as pranks before.”

Le Million frowned, “That sucks.”

Inko nodded in agreement as Izuku came up behind her carrying his duffel bag, “Thanks Mom.” He looked at the newcomer, “You must be Mirio Toogata! Nighteye’s intern?”

The boy nodded, “That’s right! And you’re Deku, right? I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Don’t believe everything you hear,” Izuku said blushing, “Nighteye and the others tend to exaggerate.”

Toogata laughed, “Sir told me you were too modest for your own good! Here, let me take that for you.” He grabbed the duffle out of Izuku’s hand. 

“Have fun this week!” Inko waved as the boys left, “Be safe!”

“We will Mom!” Izuku called back. “Bye!”

“She worries a lot, doesn’t she?” Togata asked.

Izuku nodded, “Her heart’s in the right place though. I know she doesn’t really want me to be a hero, she’s pretty bad at hiding it actually, but she’s willing to support me even though it makes her worry.” He shrugged. “That’s more than most people can say, so I count myself pretty lucky.” He smiled. “So what’s it like being Nighteye’s intern?”

Toogata beamed, “Super fun! But also really difficult. I didn’t have a great handle on my quirk when I was recruited, but he’s put me through the wringer the last few months and now I’m one of the best students at UA.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “But actually, recently my quirk kind of...mutated, and I’m basically having to master it all over again. I was hoping you could help me with it this week, if that’s ok?” 

Izuku nodded, “I’d love to. Analyzing quirks is really fun for me and I love coming up with ideas to help people improve. Your quirk is some kind of permeation, right? I remember you made a big splash at the sports festival.”

Toogata went slightly pink, “Uhh, yeah. I really should have listened to sensei when he suggested wearing a uniform infused with my DNA, but I thought that’d count as a costume or support item and give me an unfair advantage so…”

Izuku nodded, “I understand where you’re coming from, but that is a pretty big disadvantage.”

Toogata laughed again, “Yeah, you get used to it. I hardly even get embarrassed anymore, except when I’m naked on national television, apparently.”

Izuku pulled out a small notebook as they got on the train, “So, you said your quirk had mutated. What’s it like now?”