Chapter 30. Rock bottom

Naomi didn't know what to do with herself. She didn't want to talk to anybody and she didn't want to be anywhere. She felt trapped, not by the confines of the estate walls, which technically she was trapped inside, but by the confines of her own head.

Walking hadn't helped. Walking had made it worse. Walking had underlined the fact that she could go anywhere and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference; wherever she went she would be carrying her sack of despair with her.

She had tried to rationalise what she was feeling. She knew that if she could convert the general cloud of dread into real things, actual specific problems, then she could take each one on, prioritise and action them like tasks on a project plan. But severe though her problems were (including the fact that everybody she knew and loved was dead or had become a monster), she didn't think those problems warranted the level of hopelessness that she felt.

Panic bubbled up inside her again and again. She choked it down each time but it just fizzed up again like some emotional acid-reflux. She had never felt anything like this before and she didn't know what to do. She knew she should probably talk to somebody, but just the thought of interacting with another person made her feel ready to throw up. And even if she could talk to somebody without being sick, there was no way she would be able to convert the mess that was inside her head into anything approaching a conversation.

Naomi kept walking.

Muteजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें