Chapter 14

"Yeah, there's a door over here!" Logan called out, his hands caked in mud and moss from digging up what looked to be an old, metal, cellar door. Now coated with rust and earth, forgotten to the above world, his eyes scanned for any easy way to open it. Logan tugged on the handles that were barely hanging on by a thread, only for the one to snap off in his hand. "Great," he muttered under his breath.

"What's the problem?" Kaya asked, walking up beside him, Eve not far behind. She looked down at the door, and then noticed the door handle gripped in Logan's hand. "Oh" she frowned, gripping her jacket closer to her to protect her from the cold wind.

Logan extended his claws, "Looks like we're going to have to do this like everything else: the hard way." He jammed a claw between the doors, sliding his fist down until he heard the lock break. "That should do it." This time, he gently tugged on the remaining handle, earning a echoing screech from the metal door as it slowly opened. They were met with a staircase that led into darkness, and he held a hand out to stop Kaya, who was about to rush in without a moment's hesitation. "We don't know what's down there, or if we can even get down there." He replied when met with Kaya's annoyed sigh. "There's a flashlight and some other supplies in my backpack back at the car, we'll grab my backpack and then we can go."

Once Kaya returned with the supplies, Logan took the flashlight in one hand, hers in the other as they descended the rusty staircase leading them down into a dark hole. The smell of mold hit Logan like a truck, a sure sign nobody had occupied this place in years. But like everything, he knew that looks could be deceiving.

"It smells like something died." Eve gagged, covering her nose with her free hand. 

Logan rolled his eyes, leave it to Eve to point out the obvious. "You could always hold you breath, or wait by the car." Kaya chucked beside him as they continued down the dark, musty, hallway.

Eve scoffed. "I can manage." she choked out, still covering her nose.

"You sure about that?" Logan chuckled, as they continued to descend into the unknown. Puddles of water lined the floor, moss was growing through the cracks in the wall. It looked like this place had been abandoned for years. Who even knew if they left anything behind?

As if reading his thoughts, Kaya asked, "Are we sure we're going to even find anything here? This place looks completely vacant."

They reached another door, luckily unlocked, and walked into a platform in a room that oversaw what looked to be a tank of water. What once must have been clear water was now filled with algae, making it look murky. Logan couldn't even see to the bottom of it. 

"Well, there's a sight to see." Eve mumbled from the other side of him, looking around the room. "Shall we take a closer look?" She asked as she found a ladder down the walkway and began to climb down.

Kaya squeezed Logan's hand, the tension radiating between them. He couldn't deny the sense of familiarity that this place carried, as well as the sense of dread. It would be so easy to turn around and forget that they even stepped foot inside this place, to go back to their lives at the Academy, but he wasn't the only one deserving of answers here, Kaya was as well. She deserved to know why this was done to her just as much as he did, and with Stryker out there somewhere in the world carrying those answers, Logan was prepared to travel the globe to find him. 

"You good?" he looked down at Kaya who was now practically vice gripping his arm, her eyes darting around the dark room as though something was going to jump out at them at any second. 

Kaya met his eyes, "This place just gives me the creeps." she replied, taking in a deep breath and loosing her grip. "The sooner we get out of here, the better.