II. Into the Woods

"It feels like we're being watched," Zdislav remarked as they took their first steps among the dark pines of the Vale. The crunch of ice and needles underfoot didn't seem to travel as far as it should have. Even their voices were muted.

"It always feels that way here," Rhujag said grimly. "We likely are."

Zdislav grimaced a little at that. "Already?"

"They've been in these woods for thousands of years, uninterrupted," Rhujag muttered. "Imagine how well you know your own house: the step that creaks, the shutters that bang, the habits of the animals in your garden. Then imagine you've had a couple centuries to learn the patterns of every little thing. Even without magic, our presence disturbs the forest."

"Magelight only," Adéla ordered, flowing seamlessly back into her role as commander of the mission. She was a battlemage, not a general, but their captain was not foolish enough to pretend he knew anything about elf-magic. "No fires."

"We can't cook over magelights," someone said in the back.

"You heard the Mágissa. Until we have some manner of understanding with the Vale and its occupants, iron rations only. We have enough for months," Kamil said bluntly. There was little sign of his earlier levity now.

Seben put a hand over Naji's jar. "Sorry, dear one," she murmured. "You may be in there for a bit." She looked over at Adéla. "Do we have anything for glamor?"

Adéla nodded. "Not perfect in every sense, but there were enough texts about defending from mind magic in the ancient days preserved to allow for the crafting of some defenses." She opened her palm to show two iron rings, one small and one large with identical sigils engraved. "For you and Rhujag. You will need to lock them to you with a droplet of blood each. That will be enough to prime and maintain the spell. Far easier than me weaving a shield around each and every person."

"And if I lose the ring?" Rhujag asked, picking up his and inspecting it.

"That is why you lock it," Adéla said. "It will still grant protection, even if it is parted, though it may not be as potent. I can craft more if needed, but it is taxing and I would rather not waste my strength if we are in an elven wood."

Rhujag pricked his thumb with his dagger and smeared his blood across the sigils. Instead of dripping off, the dark liquid seemed to vanish into the iron. He slipped it on. "Have I ever mentioned how creepy your magic can be, Adéla?"

"Once or twice," the mage said with a faint smile. "Seben?"

The fire-speaker used an arrowhead to prick her own hand. There was a bright flash of celestial gold when her blood touched the primed ring. The sigils burned white for a moment, slowly diminishing to a faint, barely-there glow.

"I'd forgotten about your blood for a moment there," Adéla admitted. "I imagine you are at least as well defended as I am."

"It might as well be good for something." Seben slipped on the ring and felt a faint warmth seep into her skin. Her thoughts didn't feel any clearer than usual, but she was confident that the mage's creation worked as explained.

"Do not leave the road," Zdislav said, gesturing to the track that led into the woods. It would be difficult to march people down without disturbing the undergrowth, particularly the soldiers, but they could move two abreast through the press of trees. Everyone wore their armor, carrying their weapons where they would be easily readied.

Seben had her bow in her hand, not at all reassured by her leather armor. The worst dangers posed by the forest were not likely to be physical, at least not in the sense of a piercing arrow or cutting blade. "Shall we go?"