Chapter 1: We are Project 863

Location: San Francisco, California

DATE: July 28, 2021

TIME: 7:30 A.M.

18 years in the future.

Maggies POV

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I groan as my alarm clock goes off over and over again. After turning off the alarm, I cover my face with a pillow and groan into it once again, before getting out of bed. I walk out of my room into the kitchen and I am greeted by the face of my closest family member, Meghan Reily. While Meghan is not actually blood-related to me, she is the only family I have had since both of my parents disappeared. She went to school with my mom, and 17 years ago my mom left me on her doorstep and never returned. She has been my adopted mother ever since that night. I've never been more thankful for a person in my life more than Meghan.

" Look who decides to get up before one o'clock in the afternoon," She says as I walk over to the kitchen cabinet grabbing a box of cereal from within. I roll my eyes and stick my tongue out at her as I pour the dry food into a bowl, placing the box back in its spot after I pour my fill.

" Well I have a campus orientation at San Fransico State today and I don't wanna be late," I tell her as a grab the milk from the fridge and pour it over my food adding the much need moisture to the overly dry food. "Plus it is the first semester of my fourth year, I'll be done with my bachelor's degree by next semester and I'll finally be able to focus on my master and in four years I'll be Dr. Maggie Nathinail and I'll be able to help people and children with my therapy," I say confidently as I shove a spoonful of cereal and milk in my mouth and I begin to eat.

"Well, Dr. Maggie I think you need to hurry up because the eight o'clock bus will be here in 15 minutes," Meghan says as she slips her coffee looking down at a book she has been reading. My head snaps to the right looking at the clock on the microwave. The clock reads 7:45 a.m. and I panic quickly eating all my food before running to my room and changing into a pair of jeans and a simple black tank top with a blue flannel over it. I throw on socks and some converse before stuffing my schedule, wallet, and campus ID into a small backpack. I throw on a plain black baseball cap after brushing my short brown hair out of my face. I run out of my room seeing that the time is now 7:55 a.m. I yell a quick goodbye to Meghan as I grab my house's keys and run to the bus stop down the street. I see the bus pull up as people get on and I run faster. I get to the bus right as the doors start to close and I slip in looking at the bus driver, Marcus.

" You really weren't gonna wait for me, I bet you saw me running Marc," I say to him as I take out my bus card and tap it on the reader. He looks at me and shakes his head at me.

" I have a very busy schedule today I have to pick up an extra stop or two because one of the buses is down," Marcus tells me as I take my see a few seats down. " Plus you should know when the bus comes already you've been on my bus route for the last 2 years now," he adds looking at me through the overhead mirror, I shake my head and put in my headphones and listen to so music as I wait to get to my stop. Watch the cars and people walk by and my mind slowly drifts off to the thoughts of my mother and father. It's been so long that I can't picture them anymore, their faces are just blurry pictures in my mind. At least my dad's is since I have no pictures of him. I don't have any pictures of my mom from after she and my dad met but I have some pictures that Meghan gave me, from when they were in college together. Meghan says I look like my mother Debra, but I don't see the resemblance that much. Maybe I look like my dad, I wouldn't know though since no one in my life has met him. I know my parents first met at work and that they fell in love and something happened that caused them to abandon me. I wish I knew why they left me. I know they used to work for a company named Syntec labs but Meghan told me that my mother wasn't employed there when she left me with Meghan. So that is a dead end. My thoughts are broken as I see the sign of my school campus and I get up to get off. Ready to start the day.