|I{•------» [29] «------•}I|

Sitting amidst the shards of broken glass in the depths of her mind, Ruka felt like a shattered machine. She was a ghost in a world consumed by pain.

"You sit there, fighting off hell, supporting a body that should have gone into shock after the extent of your wounds, and yet you still have enough strength to remain conscious and maintain this mental link. Your life force... it is beyond what we imagined."

Ruka gritted her teeth, her blue eyes fluttering shut as waves of pain washed over her. The bright green orbs of the cat beast blinked at her, tilting its head to the side. "Do you know why a cat beast has to be sealed inside its chosen Jinchuriki from birth? It is because this allows the child to grow and adjust to the immense power within them as it merges with them. That man didn't just seal away my chakra; with our intertwined fates, he's sealed away a great deal of your own as well."

"My chakra?" Ruka echoed. "You're saying we're connected to such an extent? Our chakras... they're merged?"

"We sustain each other, Lady Ruka. It is thanks to our combined life force that you are capable of walking away from life-threatening injuries. Why do you think Jinchuriki of a cat beast die when extraction is attempted? It is because to remove us is to remove the very essence of the life that binds us together."

Silence hung in the air as Ruka contemplated the words in her mind. "You're not my enemy, are you?"

The cat lifted a black paw to its head, as if running a frustrated paw through its fur, which amused the heiress. "No, I do not ask for anything but your survival and to stay by your side as you continue to grow."

"Ruka?"

Lost in her inner contemplation, it took a while for the sound of someone calling her name to register. The princess managed to pull her gaze from her palms to find Sakura gazing down at her, hesitance evident in her expression.

Ruka offered her a smile and gestured for Sakura to take a seat beside her. It took several moments for Sakura to settle down, her body displaying signs of weariness.

"This is new," Ruka mused, raising a single hand to trail her finger down Sakura's freshly cut shoulder-length hair. The pink-haired girl blushed as she watched the prodigy's fingers play with the strands. "It was an impulsive decision, but I don't regret it. I only had it long in the first place because..."

Ruka thought to herself, knowing that the long hair had been a symbol of Sakura's love for Sasuke. She watched as Sakura stared at her hand with a somber expression. "I like it," Ruka whispered, causing Sakura to look at her with wide eyes. "You look beautiful."

Sakura stared at her, dumbfounded, before her cheeks flushed with a tinge of red. "T-thank you," she stuttered, looking away from the heiress shyly. Then, she eagerly brought her head up. "Ah, that's right, Ruka! I was supposed to tell you something!"

Ruka hummed in acknowledgment.

"The lotus in Konoha always blooms twice."

Caught off guard for a moment, Ruka blinked, and Sakura couldn't help but cover her mouth, attempting to stifle a giggle. "Lee promises that by the time he returns, he'll be a stronger man."

After Sakura had told Ruka about Lee's bravery, Ruka had hoped that the next time they met, she could thank him. A gentle smile spread across her face. "I'm looking forward to it," she said truthfully.