I Wore It Better

Lexa’s Point of View

“No, keep your foot here and don’t move it.” I grit my teeth, my patience running out for the Sky boy.

“Sorry Commander.” Monty gulps, moving his foot in the correct place this time. I take a deep breath, trying to drown out Jasper and Clarke’s snickering in the background. When Clarke came to me, asking if I could help train Monty, I didn’t think it would end up this frustrating to teach him basic skills.

“Again.” I tell him, standing a few feet back from him. He nods with a nervous sigh before attempting to try the manoeuvre once more with the sword I gave him. He moves slower than I would like, but he’s finally getting a handle on the sword in his hands.

“There you go Monty!” Jasper shouts with a great big grin, making Monty then trip over his own feet and land on his back.

I sigh and close my eyes, “We’re done here.” I then turn on my feet before starting to walk back towards the village.

“Jasper messed me up! I promise I can do it!” Monty tries to prove, getting up to try again, messing up everything. I roll my eyes and continue my path towards the village.

“We’re done for the day.” I repeat before Monty sighs and Jasper tries to hold back his laughter. Clarke catches up with me and stands by my side, a great big smirk plastered on her face. She then reaches out for my hand making the tenseness in my face ease up a bit. I hold onto her hand, knowing she’s still very amused with the whole situation.

“It’s really nice of you to try and help Monty.” She then smiles making me laugh humorlessly.

“I’ve tried my best, I don’t know if there is much more I can do.” I tell her with the smallest smile, she rolls her eyes playfully as she steps closer to me, our arms tangled as our hands hold each others.

“He’ll soon get the hang of it, he just needs more time.” She reassures me, squeezing my hand. We walk a little while, Clarke and I stepping in a comfortable silence, while the two Sky boys follow behind us. They talk and I have no idea what they are saying, something about ninjas and turtles. I think about maybe asking Clarke if she knows what they mean, but hold back, thinking that it’s probably something I rather not know anyways.

“Can we take a water break?” Jasper asks eagerly as we begin to walk beside one of the small streams. I sigh and agree with a nod, these boys are too needy. They never can handle the two mile walk without a break.

Jasper and Monty grin and run to the stream, starting to fling the water at each other. I look over to Clarke, who smiles at the two of them, finding them amusing. Her hand stays with mine as she leads me towards the water, only leaving my contact when she crouches down and cups some of the water to drink. I do the same, quenching the dryness in my throat.

I then stand up, drying my hands on my pants. Clarke stands up as well with a smile, making my heart start to beat a little bit faster. She puts her hand on the small of my back and leans in to give me a quick kiss on my lips.

I smile back at her, enjoying our little moment until Jasper annoyingly interrupts. “Look guys, it’s a raccoon!” Jasper shouts pointing to the other side of the stream. The animal drinks from the water, not phased that we are here.

I look back to Clarke who just shrugs over their excitement for the raccoon. “Let’s go now.” I tell them, retrieving Clarke’s hand once again.

“Jasper wait.” Monty starts to snicker, leaning in to whisper to the other Sky boy. Jasper looks up to me and then to the raccoon before he unleashes in a fit of laughter. I scrunch my eyebrows together in confusion not understanding why there is laughter at the moment. Monty begins to laugh with Jasper making my understanding of the moment even foggier.

“What’s so funny guys?” Clarke then asks, confused as well. Jasper then points to me and then to the raccoon, as if he’s making things clearer.

Clarke’s eyes widen in realization making me more frustrated, why am I the only one that doesn’t understand what is so funny? She smiles innocently, as if she’s trying to keep in a small giggle.

“What?” I ask her, making the boys laugh harder. I glare at them knowing they are making fun of me in someway, I just don’t know which way.

“Your war paint.” Clarke points out, “It’s similar to the raccoons face.” She tells me making me confused, I look to the raccoon and sigh when I see that she is right. I blush before turning on my heels leaving them all behind, thinking that the whole situation is immature anyways.

“Lexa, wait.” Clarke calls out before catching up with me.

“Do you think that it’s funny?” I question her as I keep my pace in a steady beat. The two boys trying to keep up with us as they continue to snicker.

“Well it’s a little funny.” Clarke admits making me glare at her, “But it’s not like it demeanors you or anything.”

“Clarke, you’re trying not laugh.” I point out feeling embarrassed, my cheeks still heated up.

“Lexa wait.” She stops me, the small smile on her face still present. “I’m sorry that I kind of laughed. I think you look good with your war paint.” She reassures me making me nod.

“I don’t look like a rodent?” I question as the two boys pass us, giving us our privacy. I still want to take off their heads though because they are still snickering.

“No, you look powerful...and beautiful.” Clarke smiles genuinely, making me stand up straighter. I meet her eyes and nod thankfully. She grins and leans into to give me a kiss when she notices that I feel better.

“What do your people say anyways, ‘I wore it better’?” I then ask her making her laugh out loud making me smile, getting the exact reaction I hoped for.