My "Best Friend"

A year later:

Gosh! I hate Igbo language and that's the subject we're having now. How I was able to pass that subject took a LOT of hard work and extra lessons at home.

My family and I are Urhobos, I was born in Sapele and moved to Enugu state when my baby sister was born and I am not the least bit interested in learning Igbo language even when every single person here thinks it's mandatory to know the language since I'm in 'Igbo land'.

The past one year was a huge drama fest. It feels like Kosi keeps hating me more each day and I'm scared of it.

She got me in a lot of trouble and most times she got away with it. Now the teachers at my school see me as a rebel. To top it all up, St
udents still call me soft bones, mainly because I'm not too good in physical activities.

I complained to my parents about it, but most times they laughed at me saying what the teachers and students said about me weren't complete lies and only took me seriously on certain occasions.

Sister Kemo isn't around for me to talk to her anymore, she attemped her senior WAEC and others in her SS 2 class and passed, so now she's studying in a University in Edo state which is really far from Enugu state.

Bella and Amanda decided that they no longer want to be part of our quad. They became best friends, which left me with Williams.

She began to act nice towards me and I thought she changed, we became closer than we were before and we became Best Friends, but now she's a real pain in the butt.

Williams and I went for choir rehearsal the previous day. We sat together and began working on our vocals when Williams got a Senior's seat all messed up, I could see Williams pointing at me from the corner of my eye.

The Senior walked towards me and asked me to clean up the mess I made. I got really angry and told the Senior that I didn't do it.

She didn't believe me so I had to clean up the mess, then Williams walked towards me saying, "Aww, sorry you had to clean up the mess you made". I growled at her and walked away since I was done cleaning up.

At lunch break today, I decided to hang out with Kemi, the both of us had become really close and I consider him my best friend. Unlike the other guy friends I've had in the past, Kemi was really understanding and he was someone I could talk to.

I vented continuously about Williams to him, feeling my anger rising each time I spoke about her.

"Why don't you end your friendship with her then?". He reasoned.

"I can't, what if she gets hurt. I hate hurting people". I confessed.

"But she's hurting you, tell me why she's your best friend again? I mean, That girl's almost as bad as Kosi". He said.

I frowned. He shouldn't have compared Williams to Kosi, she's way worse.

He must have noticed my reaction because suddenly he said. "Oh sorry, I know you don't like talking about Kosi".

Shortly after, Williams joined us. Kemi shifted uncomfortably towards me. Recently, Williams had been joining Kemi and I alot when we were hanging out.

When she joins us, she practically glues herself to Kemi and talks to him non-stop, completely ignoring me.

Kemi, on the other hand, always looked irritated and annoyed, and shifts away from her alot. Sometimes I feel like the only reason she's my best friend is so that she could hang out with Kemi. I, of course, spoke to Kemi about this.

"Well here's an idea. . . Get an axe, break the window and throw her out of the class. Problem solved.". He had said, I smacked my palm on my forehead.

"Got any BETTER ideas". I said, he thought for a while, smiled and raised his hand.

"No Kemi, we would not chain her to her locker and cut her head off". I said. He stared at me in astonishment.

"I was watching you the whole time. You stared at her for a while, then her locker and made a knife shape with your hand while staring at her, acting like you cut her head off with it. Then you gave a devilish smile" I said.

I feel sorry for him though, Williams has become really clingy towards him and he's been trying to avoid her as much as possible.

I got curious, does she like him? I decided to ask her now, but not with Kemi around.

"Williams can I talk to you?" She didn't hear me, she was still talking to Kemi.

"Williams can I talk to you?" I asked, a bit louder this time. It feels like she's ignoring me.

"We need to talk Williams!" I shouted.

"If you want to speak to me say it here, because I'm not leaving". I saw Kemi groaning. I tried to hold a laughter.

"Ok then, Williams do you like Kemi?"
I saw her blush, it was wierd to see an Ebony black skinned girl's cheeks turn red.

I looked over at Kemi who mouthed. "No way, stop this". to me. I ignored him and waited for her answer.

"Umm, I need to go.". Williams said and she ran out of the class.