Chapter 3

It struck 10pm and Anne marched down to the Winchester household where she would be reconciled with Sheldon. She ruffled her hair, bit her nails, rubbed her hands together and blinked too many times. She finally came to the mailbox that had 'Winchester' written upon it. Sheldon was right,nobody could miss the house. It was far greater than even Bertha's home. Although she was amazed of the wealth of the family, she thought only of coming face to face with him again. Perhaps it was too much excitement for one day. With quite a few deep and drawn out breaths, Anne finally placed both her feet onto the large step in front of the giant double doors and she placed her hand upon the door knocker when it suddenly opened and stopped her from doing so. She jumped back just a step with the fright and shock of such a coincidence. 'Anne, you made it. I apologise if I startled you, I saw you approaching through the window.' Sheldon said with his hands formally behind his back when he spoke, and his hair still perfectly placed. 

She looked behind her and all around the street before she answered him. She was more afraid of the time as she had never been out this late before and now that her life was so different, she could no longer do as she pleased. 'Please come in.' Sheldon eventually said to break the seconds of unexpected silence. She felt embarrassed at not replying in time, but she walked in anyway. She was astounded by the décor around her and the detail of the furniture. Her father couldn't even afford such extravagant things, she thought. She followed Sheldon through to the large dining room which looked as though it was a room that a large party could be held in, as so did all the other rooms she had walked through. There were two empty plates on the table and two people drinking wine from silver plated wine glasses. One a man with some resemblance to Sheldon, the other, a woman of around the same age. 

'You must forgive me, Anne. I had invited you for dinner and realised my father had already began to dine as I returned. My servant can get you something if you wish?' Sheldon explained as Anne was not interested in the food at all.'It is quite alright, sir, thank you. I have no appetite.' Anne replied as she stared over at the man and woman, who seemed to not be speaking or even looking at one another. Sheldon went and sat across from the woman and Anne followed, sitting next to Sheldon but also across from the man. Even with four of them at the table, it seemed bare. 'Anne, may I introduce my mother Lydia and my father George.' Sheldon said as Anne smiled at the both of them. Before Anne had the chance to speak,Lydia, the mother, got up from her seat and left a half empty glass of wine in her place. 'Nice to meet you Miss. I must go to bed I am tired.' Lydia said as she glanced at her husband and went off up the golden stairs at the other side of the room. Sheldon poured Anne a glass of wine as she struggled to lift the heavy silver glass. The wine was the best thing she had ever tasted, what a life of luxury, she thought. Sheldon's father, George continued to sip his wine and look about the room with a blank expression. 

'You will have to forgive him, Anne. He has nothing to say to my mother let alone a young girl.' Sheldon said as he poured himself some expensive wine.'I believe she is a woman, not a girl. A very fine woman I'm sure.' George said across the table with the end of his sentence echoing into the bottom of his glass, making it difficult to hear what he said.Anne looked around and thought long and hard about something intelligent to talk about. She felt she had to prove she was worthy to dine with such fine men. She and George made eye contact several times as though they were speaking without words. 'So, Anne. How was the rest of the party?'Sheldon said after clearing his throat and seeming agitated. 'It was errr...fascinating. There were some interesting characters, but nobody to my liking. I prefer the company of intellectual persons not the people my Aunt associates with.' Anne replied, not making eye contact with Sheldon whilst speaking, but looking at George the whole time. Sheldon looked to his father and then to Anne, trying to figure out what he was missing. 'Well you will only get the best of conversation in my home,Anne. I do hope that this will not be the last time you visit here?' Sheldon asked seeming distracted as everyone else seemed to be.