Part 1

“We’re here!” Callem awakes to his sister, Arora, yelling at him in their cabin. He lets out a long sigh, gently closing the book he had in his hands. He then turned his gaze out the window on his right, watching as they rolled through the large bronze gate of the mansion. He slipped the book into his brown leather book bag, picking up the strap to throw it on. 
    It was time for them to spend the next few months here with a close family friend, Landon, a centaur of high status. He lived away from the towns and Membritch, preferring to live deep in the willow woods. Callem didn’t mind coming here, he enjoyed the opportunity to be away from the bullies of his town, but he did feel like he always got lost in the massive building. 
    He stumbles forwards as the carriage stops, his nine tails falling over himself. He groans before pushing himself up, flicking his ears. He looks over to his sister, watching as she leaps out of the cart. He’s quick to follow her, finding his drop much harder. He tripped into his sister's golden tails, grumbling. 
    “Callem?” Arora looks back at him, a soft smile on her face. “Awe, did my baby brother trip and fall?” She helps him out, ruffling his hair. 
    “I’m not a baby,” he grumbled, pushing away from her. “Leave me alone, let's just get inside.” He moves past her, throwing the door open. The scent of dust and old books drifted past him, making him feel at home again. He hadn’t realized it before, but now waves of exhaustion washed over him. 
    “Welcome Roses,” Landon, a tall centaur with a cat lower body, its fur a sleek black to match his long hair. He walked up to the boy, fixing his button up shirt. “Welcome Callem, good to see you again. I have your room down the hall, if you wait a minute, we can make our way down.” The boy nodded, leaning against the wall. 
    He needed to wait for his sister to be dealt with, so this gave him time to think. He decided he was going to enjoy his stay this time, actually exloer the woods and learn what he could from the liebrary. He wanted to spend as much time as he could doing what he loved before he had to return  home, to his bullies and to a family that mistreated him in favor of keeping his battle based sister well. 
    He knew Arora meant well for him, but his parents disreguarded him like dirt. Just a child they never wanted. But if they just pushed past his surface they would have seen he’s been blessed with an open mind, but he knows they never will trust him. All this thought about home life was making him more tired, so he closed his eyes to rest for a bit.
    He sniffed, feeling his emotions get the better of him. He hated home, he hated the bullies who made fun of him for being a runt and a bastard, and he hated how no one seemed to love him like a son. He felt the tears run down his cheeks, falling onto his blue button up shirt. He raised his hand to wipe them away, but he felt someone else lay a hand on his shoulder. 
    It was Landon. The centaur had come up after a minute or so, concern in his eyes. He slowly pulled the boy close, letting him gently rest his head on his chest. 
    Callem gladly took this opportunity, holding onto the tall man now. Landon was the only person who allowed him to be a child, to be free and open minded. He has always cared for the boy, which explains why the two are so close. He relaxed against the warmth of him, slowly calming now. 
    “Come,” Landon began, rubbing his back. “Let's get you to your room to rest for a bit.” The boy nods before the pair heads down the hallway, Callem still close.
    “Thanks Landon,” he mumbles, a soft smile on his face. “I… think I'm gonna have a good time with this trip.” The pair stop at a room with a navy blue, golden dappled light filling the room. 
    “Good,” Landon comments, letting go of the boy to walk in. “Like always, you’ll be staying here, in the ocean room. As always, I am only two doors down, the door inbetween is the washroom of this hall. Finally, across the way is the greenhouse, feel free to explore the rest of the house as you please.” He drew the blinds shut, turning on a soft colored lamp. 
    “Thanks again,” Callem mumbles, walking in. He gripped his bag, shakily looking around. He let his claws sink into the soft carpet, enjoying its different texture. “I think I'm going to rest for a bit, could you wake me for dinner?” He sits down on the soft bed, rubbing the top blanket. 
    Landon nods, moving towards the door. “Can do, I’ll send a room keeper to grab you at the time. For now, rest, we’ll talk later.” He then softly closed the door behind him, allowing the boy to stay by himself. 
    Callem sighs, slipping his bag off. He threw it over the end of the bed, wrapping his tails around his waist. He yawned, folding his ears back before laying down. He trusted the fact he wouldn’t be awoken until later, so he relaxed now. He shifted a bit before drifting off, his breath soft and warm.