5 - "Bully"

There were more people in the church than usual, today

There were more people in the church than usual, today. Stapleton church was very welcoming, so there were no sour looks at some of the new faces. Among the new crowd in the back left side of the church was Bonnie, his mother Nicki, Ember, Dalton and Lotus. White Locus sat near them since she came with them though she usually sat in the front.

Today was Nicki's last day in New York. She liked it here in the Big Apple—not more than Dallas, but just because of the closeness of being near her son. However they were in the middle of a war and as much as Bonnie loved having his mom around, he loved having her breathing more. So right after Mark's service she was going back home.

Nicki was a devout Christian and had been dying to find a church to come to before she went back to Texas. Just to compare the experience from the churches back in her hometown to a foreign one. All the places she looked up required the person to be a member of the church to attend.

Mark's church was an open door to anyone. So Bonnie came with his mother because it was their last moments together and he was the one driving her to the airport right after. Lotus came since he knew it would be a while before he saw Bonnie's mother again. He wanted to send her off as well out of respect for his best friend. Mark had also been begging Locus's family to come out and see him preach for a while. Therefore Ember and Dalton tagged along making it a group trip. They accompanied White Locus because she was always at one of Mark's sermons.

Everyone watched Mark on stage as he preached. Locus was so nervous. She hoped they were all enjoying his speech. He was a good preacher. Even though she didn't really come and listen to the words herself; she still wanted everyone else too and like it.

Bonnie sat next to his mother, his arm around her. She had her bible on her lap as she nodded her head at Mark's words. The subject he was on was revenge. "Peter 3:9 it says 'Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.'"

The church cooed in agreement and Nicki nodded her head as well. She was a little skeptical at first, because young pastors tended to drift from the bible and talk about things they thought would get attention. She was glad to see Mark was traditional.

Nicki rested her head on Bonnie's shoulder and he kissed the top of her head. It was the only woman in the world he loved and had respect for. Even right now the church thing was making him a little uncomfortable. He was the last person who should've been sitting in a church, but for his mother he would.

"Now I have a confession...I've never been through anything where someone wronged me enough for me to feel like I needed to take vengeance upon them. So I don't know what that feels like." Mark said, turning his head to the left side of the church to give the people on that side some attention. "But I can tell you, that is not the work of the Lord. Holding onto hate will only cause you self-destruction. It's crucial for you to let go."