Chapter 1 (Acceptance)

Ariana's POV

I walked home from working at the flower shop trimming flowers and whatnot. I'm absolutely exhausted. Dalton was working at the skate shop extra hours so I decided to do it as well so I wouldn't feel as lonely.

My legs felt like they were giving out once I was walking on the yard. But before I walked in the house I checked the mail. Then one specific letter had my name on it and I screamed and ran into the house.

"ARI ARE YOU OKAY?" I hear my mom running from the kitchen and throw all of my stuff to the floor and sit on the couch.

"The letters in"

Her mouth falls agape and she yells for Frankie. I hear running footsteps down the stairs and I turn to see my brother Frankie wrapped in a towel.

"Well... are you gonna sit there or open it?" He asked while sitting next to me and wrapping his moist arm around my neck.

"Okay..." I use my nail to open the envelope and I can hear the sound of my heart beating faster... faster... and faster.

I open the letter and I read allowed.

"Dear Ms Grande, I am delighted to inform you that the committee on Admissions has admitted you to the class of 2028 under the early action program. Please accept my congratulations for your outstanding achievements." With those words all tears dropped from my eyes and Frankie and my mom held onto me and they cried as well.

"Ari I'm sooo proud of you" My mom sways me side to side and I smile but cry an ugly cry.

Frankie kissed my temple and just held onto me. "I'm so proud of you"

Y/n's POV

As I walk back to the foster home from work at the supermarket I hum along to the song I'm listening to.

"I am not my hair" by India Arie

I look through all of the mail to see me and Indya got letters from Harvard. My heart dropped to my ass and I ran upstairs to our room. She was laying down just reading a magazine.

"Our letters came in!!!" I handed her the letter with her name and She shot up and grabbed it.

I was expecting our foster mom to yell "shut the fuck up" but I'm guessing that horrible woman isn't here tonight.

Thank god.

I sat down on my bed looking at the picture of my mom on the wall. I've had this picture since I was a little kid. She was such a bad woman... to me and to everyone else. But at the end of the day that's my mother.

Two hands made their way on my shoulders and just held me.

"Y/n... let's read our letters"

"I'm nervous" it's true. My heart was beating 23 mph and it felt like it was going to stop any moment.

"Well calm down." She laughed and I chuckled as I leaned against her.

"Fine" I ripped open the top of the envelope and took out the letter.

The words read "Dear Ms Y/l/n, I am delighted to inform you that the committee on Admissions has admitted you to the class of 2028 under the early action program. Please accept my congratulations for your outstanding achievements." Those words managed to make me shed the tears I've been holding in for a long time.