sixteen

The majority of us sat in silence, the food Tony had ordered on the table mostly untouched. I sat between Steve and Natasha, close enough to Steve that I could feel him but so close to Nat that our shoulders touched and I held her hand in mine. There wasn't a whole lot to say.

The entire mission had been a bust. Silver wasn't there, and there was only just enough of his men to make it interesting but not cause any real damage. It was levelling the building that was supposed to kill the team, and probably would have at least permanently maimed a lot of them, if Reid hadn't been around and able to contact me so that Wanda was able to help.

"I think it's clear your friend has information to help us," Tony finally said, looking straight to me. I stared back at him.

"I think it's clear my friend doesn't want to be found, or he would've shown up already," I said. I didn't know what Reid was doing in New York, let alone anywhere near Silver, but that didn't matter. I had learnt to trust him and Carina unconditionally. We had risked our lives for one another too many lives, including today.

"With all due respect, what was he even doing there?" Tony asked. I balled my free hand into a fist on top of my thigh. I saw Steve glance down at it and his jaw hitch in my peripheral vision, but ignored it.

"With all due respect, I told you it was more than likely a trap and you didn't believe me," I said with my teeth grit. "I don't think it matters why Reid was there, he's always been on my side."

"Our side," Tony said. I raised an eyebrow.

"Are you still trying to put Carina and Reid in danger? Or Fallon, even?" Tony didn't have a response and I sat back in my chair. "It's clear that if Reid knows anything, he will tell me. It isn't our side until you understand their lives are worth just as much as any of yours." Silence followed.

"I'm sorry for being so political, okay, I am," I sighed. "And I appreciate everything you all have done to keep me safe, but people like us have never had a voice. Nobody has ever cared whether we live or die, and I intend to change that going forward. But until then, we are fighting a different war. We want the same outcome, and that makes us allies, but we are taking different paths to get there."

"Are you sure your friends are even trustworthy?" Tony leaned forward in his seat. My anger spiked and Nat's grip on my hand tightened to keep me in check.

"That is literally the same as me asking you if Rhodey is trustworthy," I was just barely holding back from baring my teeth. "Or Bruce, or Pepper, or Peter, or Steve."

"It just doesn't make sense to me," He shook his head. "A group of people forced together can't make such a strong bond." I pushed my chair back, squealing along the floor as I stood and dropped Nat's hand.

"That is literally what the Avengers are!" I exclaimed. "Are you telling me you wouldn't lay down your life right now for any one of them?" Tony was quiet for a moment as he looked at each member of his team in turn.

"I would," He said.

"And you are all just co-workers," I spat. "These people were my family, and I'll be damned if anybody tries to use my family in any way I decide isn't okay."

"Tony," Nat said in a quiet voice. "I think it's time to stop." Whatever he had been about to say died on his lips as he glanced from me and to Nat, deciding whatever was in her expression was more believable than anything in mine.

"Is this meeting done?" I said, my voice sour.

"I guess so," Tony said. I stalked towards the exit. "Scott is fine, by the way. In case you or your friends were wondering." I paused with my hand on the door knob, looking over my shoulder.

"I know," I said. "I sat with him the second the doctors said it was okay. How about you, Stark?" I didn't wait for an answer as I slammed the door behind me and stalked down the hall, muttering swear words and praying for another text from Reid to let me know he was okay.

"Mia!" Steve called from behind me but I didn't stop in my ascent to my bedroom, hands balled into fists by my side. "Mia," He said my name again, coming up so close behind me he touched my shoulder and I whirled around to face him.

"Do you feel the same way as him?" I asked. We had barely spoken after our kiss in the rubble, definitely not about what I'd admitted and now I was too angry to remember the relief of his survival.

"After what happened today, I understand why they want to stay hidden," He said. "And I understand why you advocate for that."

"That isn't an answer," I huffed. He reached out and pushed hair over my shoulder, touching my bare collarbone as he did. Even angry, I couldn't deny the effect his touch had on me.

"I don't feel the same way he does," He told me. I sighed. Alone in the hallway with him, I stepped into the circle of his arms as all the anger of the meeting left me.

"I really thought something had happened to you today." I nuzzled my face into his shoulder.

"I'm sorry if I caused you pain," He said against my hair.

"For nearly dying? I can't exactly fault you for that." I tried to look up at him but he tucked me back against him.

"No, for dropping everything on you in that supply closet," He said. "I shouldn't have done it." I ground my teeth together.

"Do you regret saying anything?" My heart lurched into overdrive and suddenly I felt stupid. Maybe I should have stuck to my guns, ignored everything, and he would eventually take it back anyway. I should have expected all of this.

"No," He said, making my chest relax again. "I just should have been more tactful about it."

"I'm sorry I freaked out," I said. He squeezed the back of my neck in comfort.

"You had every right to do so," He said.

"There's things we should talk about," I said awkwardly, bringing up the conversation I was afraid of but also knew needed to happen before anything else developed between us.

"Okay." Steve seemed to still and I wrapped my arms tighter around him, forcefully looking up at him. He looked nervous.

"Don't be scared, you idiot," I said, rolling my eyes. "Will you spend the night with me?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Sure, if you want me to," He said. I smiled up at him.

"I just want to talk," I told him. "But maybe if you answer correctly there will be something in it for you."