Chapter Eighteen

Valentino carried his knocked out son back home after assuring the other kids that he was fine. He walked ahead as the Vampire trailed behind him. Valentino could feel a heavy sadness settle in his heart but he didn't understand it. Yes he was a bit worried about Xan but the boy was generally okay,so it didn't make much sense why he felt so much anguish. Occasionally he would turn back and glance at the Vampire who despite the blank look still emitted an aura of sadness around him. He so much wanted to pull the Vampire to his side but then shook off the thought as Xander stirred in his arms.

Somehow Xan had found out about him and Jason which put Val on edge. He didn't even know where to begin with in explaining what happened. He didn't know what to tell the boy. He literally had nothing in his defense.

Xander growled lowly and snapped his eyes open. At first he was disoriented but when he saw his father carrying him, he growled and shrugged out of the man's arms dropping to the ground as he gave Val the most savage glare ever. Valentino visibly flinched at the look in his sons eyes. It wasn't even that he had never been on the receiving end of Xander's anger that had his heart clenching in pain but the utter look of betrayal in those hazel eyes.

"son..." Val opened his mouth to plead with the boy but Xander's eyes had turned purple and a low growl was coming off him. His eyes trained behind Val as his laser gaze settled on the Vampire.

Xander could smell it. The heavy scent of the vampire on his father and his wolf awoke in anguish. Right now the alpha didn't see his uncle that had been by his side through his shifting and trainings. He saw an enemy, one that was building to tear his family apart. And Xander had lost enough as it was, he had lost his biological parents to witches,had been stripped of his childhood and forced to grow up fast but he wouldn't, wasn't losing his family again. He wasn't going to let anyone take that from him. Definitely not the vampire.

Uncle or not.

Zane's claws dropped just as his fangs made an appearance. The alpha was ready to tear the Vampire to shreds. He growled and made to attack but was met with resistance from his father who pushed him back, hard. Making the young alpha stumble on his feet. At first,Xander was surprised by the act. His angry mind too emotional to realize that it was his father that stood in the way. He went to attack but froze when he smelled his dad's scent. Zane snapped out of his rage and turned around scanning the surrounding area. He hadn't realized that they were right behind the house. He tuned his ears to the light yet subtle footsteps that slowly moved towards them. Xan turned to his shocked father, now that he had snapped out of his haze he realized that he was about to hit Valentino and lowered his eyes in shame mumbling a half hearted sorry then glaring back at the man.

"...right now I feel like I don't know you at all. You're not the man I call my father. I don't know what is going on with you but you need to fix this. I'm not letting you cheat on dad with that, or anybody else for that matter...fix this or I will " he growled at the Vampire flashing his purple eyes.

Valentino stood starring at his retreating son's back, hating himself for something that wasn't even his fault. He felt anger and resentment in the moment that he turned cold green eyes at the Vampire.

"I'm not your mate and neither is Alvin. I don't care what any of this means but I don't want any part of it. You had your chance and you blew it. Stay away from me and my family... " Val growled every word out, gritting his teeth at how each word felt more like a knife to his own heart than anything else really. He turned around quickly when he felt the burn in his eyes. Valentino rarely cried but today would be an exception as he just couldn't take much more pain.

Especially how those brown eyes had looked empty after his words.

Denial was a horrible thing.

___

Alvin turned the corner behind the house, he could hear distinct voices among the chirping birds and howling wolves in the distance. He smiled when a muscular chest almost tackled him to the ground as he gave the young werewolf a fierce hug in return. The father son due embraced in silence while they allowed the emotions of the past few days to settle. Alvin was feeling thankful and at ease seeing that his son was well and alive. Xander was just happy to see his dad as the two have always been close.

"Dad,I'm so glad you're here now " Xan said clinging to the father. Despite his older outlook, xan was still just a child and still saw the world as such.

"Glad to be here too baby, I missed you guys." Alvin held the young man at arms length as he took in the boys physical well being. He didn't know what he was expecting but was glad that his boy was still in one piece at least.

"Yeah... " Xander posed and took a slight sniff of his father, a strong and recent smell of his little Sentinel lingered on the man and Xan frowned slightly as he remembered it would be a while before he saw his little brother again. He sighed and muttered incoherently.

"I can smell Storm on you, I miss him... " Despite the six year old gap between the siblings Xander was very much close to Storm. Unlike most siblings, Xander didn't hate his. Sure the twins got on his ever lasting nerves but he wouldn't trade them for anything.

A mischievous smile appeared on Alvin at the mention of the little brat. At least the little guy wouldn't be too lonely with Xander around.

"Well, I did bring the little bugger along...wait,Xander I... "Alvin sighed and shook his head as the young alpha had phased and was half way across the yard at the mention of his little brother.

"Great, now whose gonna tell me what the hell is going on around here?" he snorted and continued heading towards the forest knowing the kids would be fine on their own for a while.