Chapter 2: A New Start

Things were going great in Saiyo Orphanage. Ray was getting along with the others and she was happy! There were 4 other kids: Akia (age 5, older than Ray by two months), Tokiro (age 7), Yuichi (age 9), and Kuriko (age 6). Two girls (including Rayla) and three boys. Aika's quirk allowed her to control nature (she could walk up to a tree and have it extend it's branches to create a bridge or summon vines if she wanted to), Tokiro's quirk allowed him to stick to walls and climb up them, Yuichi's quirk allowed him to be very intimidating so he could get the truth out of someone, and Kuriko's quirk allowed him to heal others (he could only close wounds and stop bleeding or minor side effects like blurry vision, ringing ears, or nausea). Then there was Ray. A 5 year-old girl who can't remember her past, but has really good control over her quirk: Ghost. She could do anything a ghost could do, fly, disappear, and could probably go through walls if she trained hard enough. But she quickly discovered that the longer she used her quirk, the closer she was to becoming an actual ghost. Her eyes showed how long she had been using her quirk. The lighter the blue, the closer she was to turning into a ghost. 

She was enjoying being around the other kids and she read the books that was there in her spare time. Kioka "taught" Ray how to write as well. Every time Rioka tried to teach a new letter, Ray would be writing it with no trouble before Rioka had a chance to finish explaining. Ray was writing sentences within the first week of being there, as well as finishing all the books that were there within three weeks. Ray realized she loved learning and remembered reading about a library close to the orphanage. Day after day, she kept asking to go, but was constantly refused. Rioka finally gave in after being asked constantly  for three days. She took them there and as soon as they entered, Ray ran off. She was going to read everything in there, that was a promise. She was so lost in books, she didn't notice Rioka and the other kids leaving. Every time she finished a book, she would grab a different book close by. The librarian found her and gently touched Ray's shoulder, seemingly ending whatever reading spell was on Ray.

"Hey, um... it's time for the place to close. You're the only one still here." She said. Ray was surprised, but then she looked really sad.

"Really? There's so many more books I want to read." Ray whined. The lady smiled.

"You can borrow some books as long as you return them within a week and in good condition." Ray's eyes lit up.

"Really?! Thank you so much!!" She said as she hugged the librarian. She grabbed the closest four books and quickly left. Rioka had just finished telling the kids to go to bed when Ray walked in.

"Rayla, where have you been?" Akia asked.

"Well, I didn't notice you guys leave so I was at the library reading. I was even allowed to borrow books as long as I returned them!" Ray said, beaming the entire time.

"Real quick Ray, don't smile. It's really creepy." Kuriko said.

"Yeah. If anything, I'd believe it to be a villains smile." Tokiro said. Ray said nothing as she walked past them, to her room and closed the door. She took a deep breath, turned on her lamp, and started reading. She hoped the next day would be better.

But what had happened would become a joke, in the years to come.....