Part 4

Turned out that bringing Loomis along was the right call, as much as Brackett hated to admit it. He hated Loomis, but that wasn't as important to him as getting an amoral predator off the streets before more bodies started piling up. Something that he was on the verge of failing to prevent. Meanwhile, inside the battered and withered home, Laurie forced to engage in a cat-and-mouse game that her survival depends on winning. She'd barely managed to slow Myers down after getting ahold of his blade and driving it into his leg. In hindsight, she should have probably continued stabbing until he was no longer a threat than just stabbing him once and sprinting away, but the ability to think things through sufficiently is often rendered null and void in the face of sheer terror. Myers had stalked her all night, strangled one of her best friends to death, butchered the other, and dragged her to a hellish basement with corpses of previous victims inside. And for what? Laurie didn't know? She had no idea why this freak was hunting her, no idea what he wanted from her, not even a clue as to who he really was. The killer never spoke. The only thing she had to go on was an old photo of a blonde boy holding a small baby, neither of which she recognized. The fact that he was now infuriated and ripping through the halls of the home, literally tearing through the rotten walls to find her, increased the fear ten-fold. She'd seen him slaughter at least four people who'd done nothing to him with little to no emotional response visible. She didn't want to imagine what he might be capable of when he was angry. But she'd still find out soon enough. It wasn't just the fear for her own safety that was on her mind though. She feared she'd never have a chance to see her parents again. Since the week she turned thirteen, she'd started treating them so coldly. Shutting herself away from them in times of stress because she didn't feel like she deserved their concern. She hadn't realized until recently just how badly this impacted their feelings. She only hoped she'd get the chance to tell them she was sorry. A hope that would soon be shattered in more ways than one. These thoughts were silenced as she heard the heavy footsteps stop just outside the crawlspace she'd been hiding in, combined with the sound of approaching sirens. She knew he was just outside the small door. Had he somehow heard her breathing? Whimpering? Possibly. He stood facing the door to her hiding spot, changing position before it every few seconds, as if to further torment her, keep her unsure of when and where he'd strike. He was tilting his head back and forth as if he were some curious animal trying to figure out the ideal place to strike it's prey first. Suddenly, with inhuman ferociousness, he ripped the door open, grabbing her by the throat in a crushing vice-grip and dragging her out of the crawlspace. He dragged her back into the basement as the sound of the front and back doors being kicked in echoed through the building, hurried footsteps of police following suit. Her fighting and clawing was of little help, he threw her full force to the floor before kicking her repeatedly in the rips and likely causing a few fractures. By the time Brackett, Loomis and the rest of the backup had made their way down to the basement, Michael had his foot against the back of Laurie's head, blood covering her face and her consciousness obviously slipping away as she still tried to squirm her way out of the maniac's grasp. Michael barely even seemed to notice the police training their guns on him, and ignored every warning or order they shouted his way. Instead of backing off like they were shouting at him to do, he looked down at the bloodied Laurie one last time before raising his foot high and bringing his heel down on the poor girl's head, shattering her skull on impact and killing her instantly. The deed was done. His goal reached. His family reunited in death. His mother and his two sisters. A reunion that'd he'd be joining shortly as Sheriff Brackett and his men collectively opened fire. The Boogyman was dead. But his crimes would keep his morbid legacy alive for years to come. The image of all the bodies he'd left in his wake would haunt Lee forever.