|I{•------» [42] «------•}I|

Hiruzen Sarutobi had been a constant presence in Ruka's life, supporting her in every significant moment. From the day she took her first steps to the moment she discovered her ability to create her own flames, from her graduation from the academy to every milestone she achieved, he had always been there. Deep down, he had hoped to witness the day she would become Hokage, but now he could not. As he struggled for breath, he realized the weight of his regret, wishing he could apologize to her for everything.

To Ruka, he had been kind to all and harbored no evil within him. He never turned away anyone in need of help and seemed like a saint compared to everyone else. Yet, it was this very quality that made it difficult for her to truly connect with him. In her eyes, he lacked the qualities of a strong leader, unable to see the flaws in others and sometimes making decisions that seemed too kind-hearted.

"Ruka, being a Hokage and a Leaf Shinobi means that I would be willing to risk my life at any moment to protect Konoha," she remembered his words. Initially, she couldn't understand why someone would make such a drastic commitment, but now she comprehended the depth of his sacrifice.

When she learned of her grandfather's death in battle against Orochimaru, she was at a loss for how to feel. While the entire village attended his funeral, she couldn't bring herself to do so. It wasn't the first time she had lost someone dear to her.

Ruka stared at her reflection in the mirror, her weary eyes highlighted by dark circles beneath them. Once filled with determination, her eyes now appeared empty and lifeless. She turned away from her reflection, her gaze drawn to the window where rain poured down, as if even the weather mourned her grandfather's passing.

"She's not looking well," one of the Sarutobi whispered as he observed Ruka. Jiraiya shot him a pointed look. "Neither would you if you had gone through what she has."

The man standing next to Jiraiya, supporting himself with a cane, spoke reassuringly, "She'll be fine. She just needs time to heal. The venom has taken a toll on her."

"O-of course," the stuttering Sarutobi member responded. "I'm just saying, as the advisor of the Sarutobi Clan, with the village and the clan in complete disarray since the loss of the Third Hokage..."

The Uchiha interrupted him sharply, "Now is not the time to discuss her becoming the next Hokage. She is still young, and we have our sensei's funeral to attend."

"We are gathered here to remember and honor not only the Third Hokage but all those who sacrificed themselves in this battle so that our village could survive."

--

--

--

--

Knock, knock.

The wooden door creaked open slightly, revealing half of Kiba's face and the rest of the Konoha 13 standing behind him. Naruto spoke with a smile, "Ruka... It's us. Asuma-sensei let us in, and we thought we should visit you."

Upon hearing the news about Ruka, her friends had given her some space for a few weeks. But seeing how she secluded herself in her room, Team 8, Team 10, and Team Guy grew increasingly worried.

They could see Ruka lying in bed, covered up to her neck with a blanket, facing away from the door, her back exposed to their gaze.

Shikamaru noticed Kiba's helpless and concerned expression as he stared at Ruka. He signaled to his friends, silently suggesting they leave and allowing Kiba to go in and comfort her. The rest

of her classmates went to the living room to hang out, but Kiba stayed behind.

Placing Akamaru on top of his head, Kiba slowly pushed the door wider, his narrowed eyes fixed on her back. He slipped into the room and closed the door behind him.

He crawled onto the bed, lying down beside her, his arm encircling her. "You know, Asuma-sensei nearly killed me once when I tried to sneak into your room. But Kurenai managed to stop him just in time."

Ruka started to recall how Kiba had attempted to hang out with her by sneaking into her room. However, Asuma discovered his leg dangling over the window, prompting him to grab hold and cause Kiba to fall. The memory caused a tremor of laughter to escape her, signaling that she was trying to hold back her amusement at their shared moments.

--

--

--

--

Sasuke regarded the blond Uzumaki with annoyance as he paced around. "Stop being annoying," he said. Naruto sighed and approached his classmate, pouting. "Ruka seems to be in a bad mood. I don't think she wants us here."

The Hyuga princess looked at the closed bedroom door with pity. "She seems sleep-deprived as well."

"She'll join us soon," Shikamaru assured them, causing Ino to scoff. "What makes you so sure?"

"Kiba is in there talking to her," Shikamaru replied, clicking his tongue. "It must be troublesome since all she does is sulk, but Kiba can definitely talk her out of it."

"Shikamaru is right," Sakura chimed in, smiling. "If anyone can make Ruka smile, it's Kiba."

A sudden burst of laughter emanated from the room, leaving everyone startled. "Look, she's capable of laughing," Shikamaru pointed out.

Sasuke glanced at the door before turning away, concealing his annoyance behind his usual aloof expression.

--

--

--

--

Meanwhile, inside Ruka's bedroom, she stirred and mustered enough strength to turn onto her other side, facing Kiba this time. Akamaru jumped off Kiba's head and nestled next to Ruka's face.

Finally, their eyes met, with their noses just inches apart. Kiba grinned at her. "I think Asuma-sensei hates me."

"No," Ruka chuckled, her eyes softening. "He does not."

Kiba's eyes softened, relieved to see her smiling and laughing. "I want you to know that I'm here for you," he said, brushing her hair away from her face. "If you ever want to talk or anything."

Ruka gave him a warm smile, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Thank you."