Cade | Chap. 59

I trotted up to Zed, curious to know what could've made him so tense, until my eyes spotted the vile and the plant in the palm of his hand. My Wolf instantly jumped back, well aware of the dangerous substance as it snarled. Wolfsbane! I snarl, ordering him to put it back where he found it as everyone else backed away, startled by my sudden shift of tone. I grabbed the strap of the bag between my jaws, fighting back the urge to throw it away while the plant's irritating smell burnt my nostrils.

Let's head back, Kira will clean you boys up. I'll take care of this. I turned towards Winston and Conor. Carry the youngest to camp, let me know when he wakes up. I need to have a little chat with him... I added that last part as I turned around, trotting towards camp, already gagging as the mixture's smell invaded my snout and covered every other scent.

I was force to quicken my pace as I started to feel sick to the stomach to the point I wanted to vomit. Although the potency of this plant seemed unusually high, I didn't have time to think about it since I was already near campsite. I barged into the circle, dumped the bag and morphed, turning around as my stomach cramped and vomit spilled from my mouth, my entire body shaken by my abdomen's contractions. I stood back up when I finished and wiped the saliva at the edge of my mouth before shaking my head as I tried my best to ignore the acidic taste in my mouth. Kira walked up to me but I shook my hand.

"I'm fine. Zak and Zed are on their way with the others. We have two prisoners who might need medical attention as well. Oh and we found this." I picked up the bag and handed it to her before she plunged her hand in it, taking out the vile and twig.

She turned pools of worry towards me and I nodded, still a little winded when she spoke. "Did any of you get cut?

- Not that I know of. I'll ask them to double check when they arrive." As if on cue, I heard footsteps and spotted Winston amongst the brush as he and the rest of the troops arrived, Zak and Zed hobbling at the back of the group. "Did any of you get cut or injured?"

Everyone shook their heads, but Zak stepped forward, exposing a small slit on his arm. Kira wrapped a hand around his wrist, examining the wound from all angles before she groaned; "Do you feel any nausea, weakness or burning?

- Not any, no.

- You're a lucky one; the weapon that cut you wasn't doused in anything. If it were, you'd already be feeling its effects." I noticed Zak's body language completely changed at her words; his body became tense and alert, as if he was just now realizing the danger he put himself in. "You can rest assured, you're perfectly fine."

The boy nodded a thanks then walked away to his quarters to strip on some clothing and Kira walked up to Zed noticing his wound was bleeding. She sighed, gazing up to look at the guilty look on his face. He gave a sheepish smile, rubbing the back of his head. "Woops, guess I went too hard when I rammed the guy...

- Hm, kids these days." Kira scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Can't go two minutes without watching them else they break a leg. Come on, I'll get you patched up." I chuckled softly as the two sat down by the fire but my attention was brought elsewhere when I heard paws thrumming against the ground.

I turned towards the origin of the sound, intrigued when Nala, Jax and the rest of the patrol returned, each portraying a worried look on their faces. Jax was transformed back to his human appearance, his dark skin glistening with sweat as he gave me a bag practically identical to the one I carried. The same disturbing scent emanated from it's content, so I easily put two and two together.

"We came across a camp of hunters, except one of them had this with'em." Jax reported, gloom and concern glazing his black eyes.

I sighed, far from surprised when I found a vile containing the deadly green mixture at the bottom of the sash, alongside a multitude of other vials, some contained a similar colored mixture while a few held a substance unknown to me. This bag alone had enough wolfsbane to kill close to two full packs... it takes about ten plants to make even a small quantity of the poison, only problem is; how the hell did they manage to get their hands on such a large amount? One plant alone is extremely hard to take care of, yet alone acquire

"Good work Jax. You and your team can rest; I'll take over from here, but keep an eye on the prisoners." My dark maned pack mate nodded and took a seat amongst the others while I walked over to Kira for consultation. She was already handling one of the mixtures, and by the sheer look of concern on her face, I could tell she didn't have good news for me.

"Jax and his team came across another group who also carried vials of wolfsbane, amongst other liquids." I explained, mentally reviewing the scene as well. She nodded but kept her focus onto the the vial she currently had in hand. "Any idea how they could've obtained so many?

- Obviously they've been growing them, but exactly how and where they got enough plants... that is something I can't answer." I nodded, as I didn't expect much of an answer either. She may be our healer, but she still has limits to her knowledge.

Concerned, I turned my attention to the two unconscious men, anxious to know where they obtained all of this... I felt a growl rumbling the back of my throat, my Wolf's fur standing on end as we starred at the humans, showing off the hatred he felt for them. We were never fond of humans, but I couldn't let our anger take the better of us. If I want answers, I must stay calm. 

I dragged one of the logs and planted it a few feet away from our prisoners, then I sat down, crossing my fingers as I leaned on my elbows. The boy was quite scrawny, but he wasn't too banged up from the assault, other than a few bruises, but at least Zak and Zed did their job well. A grunt pulled me out of my thoughts, so I gazed up, noticing one of the men was starting to come back to his senses, his eyes lids fluttering wildly. I gestured Winston and Connor to stand at my side, in case anything went wrong, as the entire site became oddly silent; everyone was anxious to hear what our prisoners had to say.

While the man slowly regained his senses, I took the time to analyze his body type; quite skinny, with a slick look. His hands were covered withy dirt and cuts, as well as a few splinters. Must be a miner or a lumberjack, perhaps? He seemed to be in his 20's or a little older, but I could be wrong. I staid calm when he finally opened his eyes, gazing around with a confused look in his eyes.

"The hell am I..." his eyes grew wide when he spotted me, his body reeking of fear. "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU GUYS!?" I held back a groan, annoyed by his cries, but I didn't hold it against him; he seemed pretty young and inexperienced which explained his reaction. This may be easier than I thought.

"Calm down, we aren't going to hurt you as long as you cooperate." The kid's settled wide fearful eyes on me, his entire body emanating pure terror. Going forward, I knew I had to be careful; despite the fact the kid was carrying Wolfsbane, not every human are aware of this substance; sometimes, unfortunate naïve youngsters are used to carry the plant under a premise it's marijuana or any other plant based drug. Plus, I wasn't sure if this kid was even aware of our existence, so I took a casual approach. "We don't want to hurt you kid; we just want answers.

- I'll tell you everything! Just please, PLEASE, don't hurt Tobby!

- Tobby?" I tilted my head, curious. "Is he your friend?" I gestured my head towards the man tied up a few feet away from him, but the kid frantically shook his head.

"No, I don't even know who he is- but please, I have to go back, their going to kill him if I don't!" I waved my hands, taken aback by his panicked state.

"Woah, woah, calm down." Despite a part of me wanted to trust this kid and help him, I couldn't keep my guard down. I was preparing myself to ask a few more questions, but my Wolf pulled my attention elsewhere as he noticed an intriguing detail; his wounds were already showing signs of healing. It was faint, but noticeable to a sharp eye. Intrigued, I took a moment and starred into his eyes, searching for his wolf unto I eventually felt it, it's presence was faint, but unmistakably there.

This boy is a werewolf.